Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

linux - console

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I would like to enable uart for the default console. I modified the kernel configuration in Nios IDE to enable UART console and by reprogramming the kernel into the flash, the kernel messages are sent through the uart port. But I don't see anything after booting the kernel. I don't see the login prompt.  

I open nios2-terminal and the login prompt is displayed there. How do I do to change it? 

Thank you in advance 

Christian
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm assuming that you're using init and agetty to start up your console. In that case, it sounds like you need to modify the filesystem project a little bit to reflect your new kernel. 

In your filesystem project, the file 

/etc/inittab 

must be modified as specified below 

Comment out the following line... 

ttyJ0:vt100:/bin/agetty 115200 ttyJ0 

Uncomment the following line... 

ttyS0:vt100:/bin/agetty 115200 ttyS0 

Once the changes have been made, build and upload your filesystem to your target board. 

Hope it helps.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

It helps a lot. Thank you. An other point, do you know how to enable function to see previous commands typed in shell prompt. I press UP arrow to see previous command and I am not able to see them. It's just easier to entry command and come back to previous one. 

So, I can test my own applications by sending them into NFS directory.  

Regards 

Christian
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by spy1@Aug 17 2004, 03:41 PM 

hello, 

it helps a lot.  thank you.  an other point, do you know how to enable function to see previous commands typed in shell prompt.  i press up arrow to see previous command and i am not able to see them.  it's just easier to entry command and come back to previous one. 

so, i can test my own applications by sending them into nfs directory.   

regards 

christian 

--- Quote End ---  

Check whether the default busybox enables a more complex console, something like bash or ash - if not configure it to use it. A better console is definately available, you'll probably want to create a symlink in your filing system to the busy box application and then change your configuration so that it becomes the default console. I've done this because the default sh console is really annoying with the cursor keys! 

Adrian
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks guys! 

The serial uart is ,in my opinion, a much better terminal (why is it not the default?). By using the serial uart you free up the SDK shell to do other things in, and more importantly Ctrl+C doesn’t kill HyperTeminal http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif but stops the current process ( try stopping ping or yes from the nios2-terminal http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
0 Kudos