Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

mSGDMA ST-MM to SDRAM - Issue

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey guys. 

I'm performing a design which contains a mSGDMA conected to a SoC SDRAM port.  

I could get it to write data onto the SDRAM by using a Modular SGMDA Dispatcher and a Write Master (two different IPs), although when I tried to write a greater length than 0xF into the descriptor the core would stuck in busy mode and wouldn't perform any transfer to the SDRAM. Let's say, if I try to write 0xDEADBEEFDEADBEEF (8 bytes) to the SDRAM address 0x30000000 I'm able only by setting the descriptor length to 0xF, otherwise it won't work (and with the length of 0xF the SDRAM receives 16 bytes). Theoretically if I put 0xFFFFFFFF in the length field it will perfom a write of 0xFFFFFFFF bytes? This means that one descriptor is capable of sending that amount of data to the SDRAM? 

What I'm trying to do is to send streaming data to the mSGDMA so the data can be written into an address range from SDRAM (let's say 0x3000 0000 - 0x3fff ffff). Do I need to use multiple descriptors to perform this or I'm able to use only one descriptor and reissue it (the Park Writes in the Control Bit Field Definition) and also the 'End on EOP' bit field? I am asking this cause I couldn't perform multiple writes onto the SDRAM and I have to keep writing a new descriptor everytime. Also, I keep track the Write fill level from the CSR Register and it is stuck at one. This means that Write Master FIFO isn't getting filled?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is your burst size set to in the mSGDMA? Here's a post I made last July about a problem I was seeing whenever my transfer size was larger than the mSGDMA burst size: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52773&p=216944#post216944 

This was on an Arria 10 SoC, which we eventually abandoned in favor of a non-SoC Arria 10. So I'm no longer working with the mSGDMA and I never did resolve the problem I was seeing.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What is your burst size set to in the mSGDMA? Here's a post I made last July about a problem I was seeing whenever my transfer size was larger than the mSGDMA burst size: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52773&p=216944#post216944 

This was on an Arria 10 SoC, which we eventually abandoned in favor of a non-SoC Arria 10. So I'm no longer working with the mSGDMA and I never did resolve the problem I was seeing. 

--- Quote End ---  

I was just reading this topic this afternoon. I guess my problem is related with the length field of the descriptor. As the documentation says, it is the number of transfer that the Write Master issues to the SDRAM. The thing is that I can't just increase the length size to perform a transfer of 1KB. It only allows me to transfer 16 bytes.  

In my design I turned off the burst mode as it doesn't help me much here (or I think it doesn't... lol). 

However, have you had problems with this length thing?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

However, have you had problems with this length thing? 

--- Quote End ---  

My problem was specifically related to burst transfers that required more than one burst. They just didn't work, in simulation or in hardware. Without bursts you're transferring single 16-byte words at a time (essentially a burst with one beat of data). If you try to transfer > 16 bytes then more than one beat of data is required, and that does not work. Sounds very similar to my problem. I hope you get to the bottom of this and can share what you find out. I highly recommend opening an SR (service request) with Altera technical support. I would have done that but we abandoned the design and moved on.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am facing a nearly identical situation, have you made any progress on this?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As I said above, we bailed on the SoC design. The only reason I was using the mSGDMA in the first place was to leverage the software drivers that knew how to use it. When we abandoned the SoC I abandoned the mSGDMA, so I never followed up. I still recommend the service request route if you want to get this resolved.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am facing a nearly identical situation, have you made any progress on this? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes. My system works right now.  

I have abandoned the mSGDMA module. I put a Write Master and a Dispatcher Control as I only need to write onto the SDRAM. Are you struggling with it? Let me know if I can help you with something.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

As I said above, we bailed on the SoC design. The only reason I was using the mSGDMA in the first place was to leverage the software drivers that knew how to use it. When we abandoned the SoC I abandoned the mSGDMA, so I never followed up. I still recommend the service request route if you want to get this resolved. 

--- Quote End ---  

My system works right now and I'm adding an interrupt support. But man, I kept struggling with it for about 3 weeks. I can't even see Signal Tap anymore lol
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

-snip- 

(sorry for double post, did not see the notice that messages only appear after admin approval)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes. My system works right now.  

I have abandoned the mSGDMA module. I put a Write Master and a Dispatcher Control as I only need to write onto the SDRAM. Are you struggling with it? Let me know if I can help you with something. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello Marcio, 

Yes, there is quite some struggle here... :) At the moment I fell back on an example of CriticalLink ( https://support.criticallink.com/redmine/projects/mityarm-5cs/wiki/writing_to_hps_memory ) (Although I am using the DE0-Nano-SoC, but that shouldn't be an issue.(?)) 

I Also found a note by CL saying some steps have to be made in order to use the sdram-bridge (https://support.criticallink.com/redmine/projects/mityarm-5cs/wiki/important_note_about_fpgahps_sdram_bridge). I made a small script in linux that takes care of this after boot:  

# !/bin/bash # https://support.criticallink.com/redmine/projects/mityarm-5cs/wiki/Important_Note_about_FPGAHPS_SDRAM_Bridge # start by disabling all fpga-hps bridges echo = cat /sys/class/fpga-bridge/*/enable echo 0 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/fpga2hps/enable echo 0 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/hps2fpga/enable echo 0 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/lwhps2fpga/enable echo = cat /sys/class/fpga-bridge/*/enable echo = memtool -32 0xFFC25080=0x0 echo = cat /sys/class/fpga/fpga0/status dd if=P10.rbf of=/dev/fpga0 bs=1M cat /sys/class/fpga/fpga0/status # at this point, if fpga status is not user mode - program the fpga manually with the programmer read -p "Should I continue? y/n: " -n 1 -r echo if $ ]] then cat /sys/class/fpga/fpga0/status sleep 1 echo = memtool -32 0xFFC2505C=0x8 echo = memtool -32 0xFFC25080=0x111 echo echo 1 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/fpga2hps/enable echo 1 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/hps2fpga/enable echo 1 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/lwhps2fpga/enable cat /sys/class/fpga-bridge/*/enable echo memtool -32 0xFFC25080 1 fi  

If I'm not mistaken, these steps should take care of everything mentioned by CL. with the only difference being it is done after boot instead of in the preloader ( because I am not yet familiar with making preloaders) 

If I start my program after this, the hps will freeze the moment it reaches the descriptor part. 

Does any of this ring a bell? :) 

Kind regards, 

Robin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello Marcio, 

Yes, there is quite some struggle here... :) At the moment I fell back on an example of CriticalLink ( https://support.criticallink.com/redmine/projects/mityarm-5cs/wiki/writing_to_hps_memory ) (Although I am using the DE0-Nano-SoC, but that shouldn't be an issue.(?)) 

I Also found a note by CL saying some steps have to be made in order to use the sdram-bridge (https://support.criticallink.com/redmine/projects/mityarm-5cs/wiki/important_note_about_fpgahps_sdram_bridge). I made a small script in linux that takes care of this after boot:  

#!/bin/bash# https://support.criticallink.com/redmine/projects/mityarm-5cs/wiki/Important_Note_about_FPGAHPS_SDRAM_Bridge# start by disabling all fpga-hps bridges echo = cat /sys/class/fpga-bridge/*/enable echo 0 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/fpga2hps/enable echo 0 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/hps2fpga/enable echo 0 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/lwhps2fpga/enable echo = cat /sys/class/fpga-bridge/*/enable echo = memtool -32 0xFFC25080=0x0 echo = cat /sys/class/fpga/fpga0/status dd if=P10.rbf of=/dev/fpga0 bs=1M cat /sys/class/fpga/fpga0/status# at this point, if fpga status is not user mode - program the fpga manually with the programmer read -p "Should I continue? y/n: " -n 1 -r echo if $ ]] then cat /sys/class/fpga/fpga0/status sleep 1 echo = memtool -32 0xFFC2505C=0x8 echo = memtool -32 0xFFC25080=0x111 echo echo 1 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/fpga2hps/enable echo 1 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/hps2fpga/enable echo 1 > /sys/class/fpga-bridge/lwhps2fpga/enable cat /sys/class/fpga-bridge/*/enable echo memtool -32 0xFFC25080 1 fi  

If I'm not mistaken, these steps should take care of everything mentioned by CL. with the only difference being it is done after boot instead of in the preloader ( because I am not yet familiar with making preloaders) 

If I start my program after this, the hps will freeze the moment it reaches the descriptor part. 

Does any of this ring a bell? :) 

Kind regards, 

Robin 

--- Quote End ---  

Hey, Robin! 

The first time I put the system to work I had the same problem, but since it has been a couple of months since I solved it, I don't remember what is the exact solution. However, I can point out some situations so you can debug and see if it works with your design. 

# 1 - Add the line "run bridge_enable_handoff;" in your u-boot and compile it again (and put the new u-boot in the sdcard). You can add this line right after the line "setenv bootimage zImage;". This way you can be sure the bridge is enabled.# 2 - Since your HPS freezes, I'm sure# 1 won't be your problem. What I think it happens is that your software messes up with the bridge and the system halts (I ran to the same problem. After the DMA transfered one packet of data I would loose communication with the board). Check if your streaming interface allows "sop" and "eop". If it does, then you have to check on SignalTap if you are generating these signals correctly. It might be a software problem as well... how are you configuring the dispatchers? Paste the code here if u want me to take a look! # 3 - Use SignalTap to see how your transfer starts and ends. 

Also, I'm quite sure that you have to enable the bridge communication while booting the device. If you wanna do that, follow this tutorial: 

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/documentation/embeddedlinuxbeginnersguide 

Basically to compile an u-boot you will create a file called "boot.script"" and write this onto it (and other commands u want so you can modify your u-boot) 

echo -- Programming FPGA -- fatload mmc 0:1 $fpgadata soc_system.rbf;fpga load 0 $fpgadata $filesize;run bridge_enable_handoff;echo -- Setting Env Variables --setenv fdtimage soc_system.dtb;setenv mmcroot /dev/mmcblk0p2;setenv mmcload 'mmc rescan;${mmcloadcmd} mmc 0:${mmcloadpart} ${loadaddr} ${bootimage};${mmcloadcmd} mmc 0:${mmcloadpart} ${fdtaddr} ${fdtimage};';setenv mmcboot 'setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=${mmcroot} rw rootwait; bootz ${loadaddr} - ${fdtaddr}';run mmcload; run mmcboot;  

And after doing the previous step you need to compile the script. You can do it by running this command: 

mkimage -A arm -O linux -T script -C none -a 0 -e 0 -n "Boot Script Name" -d boot.script u-boot.scr 

After that replace the u-boot.scr from your sdcard to the one you compiled. 

Let me know if this helps or if you have doubts about anything else. Cheers. 

Regards!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hey, Robin! 

The first time I put the system to work I had the same problem, but since it has been a couple of months since I solved it, I don't remember what is the exact solution. However, I can point out some situations so you can debug and see if it works with your design. 

# 1 - Add the line "run bridge_enable_handoff;" in your u-boot and compile it again (and put the new u-boot in the sdcard). You can add this line right after the line "setenv bootimage zImage;". This way you can be sure the bridge is enabled. 

# 2 - Since your HPS freezes, I'm sure# 1 won't be your problem. What I think it happens is that your software messes up with the bridge and the system halts (I ran to the same problem. After the DMA transfered one packet of data I would loose communication with the board). Check if your streaming interface allows "sop" and "eop". If it does, then you have to check on SignalTap if you are generating these signals correctly. It might be a software problem as well... how are you configuring the dispatchers? Paste the code here if u want me to take a look!  

# 3 - Use SignalTap to see how your transfer starts and ends. 

Also, I'm quite sure that you have to enable the bridge communication while booting the device. If you wanna do that, follow this tutorial: 

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/documentation/embeddedlinuxbeginnersguide 

Basically to compile an u-boot you will create a file called "boot.script"" and write this onto it (and other commands u want so you can modify your u-boot) 

echo -- Programming FPGA -- fatload mmc 0:1 $fpgadata soc_system.rbf;fpga load 0 $fpgadata $filesize;run bridge_enable_handoff;echo -- Setting Env Variables --setenv fdtimage soc_system.dtb;setenv mmcroot /dev/mmcblk0p2;setenv mmcload 'mmc rescan;${mmcloadcmd} mmc 0:${mmcloadpart} ${loadaddr} ${bootimage};${mmcloadcmd} mmc 0:${mmcloadpart} ${fdtaddr} ${fdtimage};';setenv mmcboot 'setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=${mmcroot} rw rootwait; bootz ${loadaddr} - ${fdtaddr}';run mmcload; run mmcboot;  

And after doing the previous step you need to compile the script. You can do it by running this command: 

mkimage -A arm -O linux -T script -C none -a 0 -e 0 -n "Boot Script Name" -d boot.script u-boot.scr 

After that replace the u-boot.scr from your sdcard to the one you compiled. 

Let me know if this helps or if you have doubts about anything else. Cheers. 

Regards! 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello Marcio, 

At this point, all major steps in the code resemble the CL project, found here: https://support.criticallink.com/redmine/projects/mityarm-5cs/wiki/writing_to_hps_memory . The only difference with the CL project is that I give the FPGA only 200MB DDR-RAM and that the discriptor.length is 32*4 instead of 0xFFFFFFFF. However, since this should be a working project, I do not think there would be an error there. You are always free to take a look though :) 

I will try the things you said later today, thank you for your input! much appreciated! 

KR, 

Robin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Hello Marcio, 

A quick question. When you wrote the code for your mSGDMA, how did you write it, did you use the NIOS II IDE in combination with the HAL libraries? 

KR,Robin
0 Kudos