Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

make error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all , 

While trying to compile Altera UP example i.e both_buffers , Nios ide generated this error : 

Description Resource Path Location Type 

make: *** [buffers.elf] Error 1 buffers C/C++ Problem 

I have tried to increase the on-chip 32-bit memory space till 262144 , thats the maximum value that can be set with successful compile for Cyclone lV E on DE2-115 . 

What bug would cause this error ? 

I have also tried cleaning Nios workspace and generation a new nios project with bsp . 

I am using Quartus 11.1 and Nios ide 11.1. 

Regards , 

Ahmed
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Have you tried small library option which is available in bsp editor? 

Try with a simple example of hello world and check. 

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No i havent tried with small library yet .

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Anand, 

Here's what i did to get rid of make error . 

1. Made a new project in nios ide ( a helloworld project with bsp ) refer to screen shot "make_error". 

2. Increased the on-chip memory to 23084 bytes from previously 16384 bytes , compiled helloworld project with bsp with no error . 

3. Compiled a new project but this time with the main() provided with that UP i.e both_buffers example ( that draws a blue square on vga monitor) refer to screen shot "make_error1 and 2" , no success. 

Now i am clueless as why cantt both_buffers main() run with increased on-chip and with small model ??? 

see attached  

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

see attached

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

see both_buffers main() file.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Has mentioned above, I have also set on-chip ram size to "262144" bytes & used both_buffer file and created a simple project.I was able to generate the .elf and memory initialization file. 

1.Recheck whether a correct sopcinfo file is loaded. 

2.Kindly delete the incremental_db, db & software folder created in the project directory. 

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Anand , 

Thanks for a quick reply , i have noticed two things : 

Your SOPC system doesnt have any pixel buffers , pixel sampler or even VGA controller ?? 

Your system is a simple SOC made in Qsys , whereas i am using SOPC builder ( in both cases it updates the modules to UP for DE2-115 ) 

See attached screen shot of my SOC . 

I will try to compile it again as per your recommendations . 

Regards , Ahmed
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

see whole project attached

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When ever i test the application software , i delete .metadata file in nios workspace and also create a new folder for software design , the bsp folder folder is created automatically .

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok , i located the folders , deleted them i.e incremental_db, db & software folder and created from scratch, no success .

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Anand , i am waiting for your advice on how to get rid of of **make error ????

0 Kudos