Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12596 Discussions

make -j4 breaks the kernel uClinux process

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Learned a lesson the hard way today and thought I would share to prevent others from the same mistake. 

On the wiki pages, the page that explains how to build the tool chain suggests using "make -jx" where x is the number of cores on your build platform+2. 

So I decided to speed up the kernel and root file system build process with the same trick, substituting "make -j4" for plain make.  

Long story short, this breaks the root file system. 

I did a clean kernel build from scratch: 

git clean -f -x -d 

make menuconfig (select default all selections and lose changes) 

make vendor_hwselect SYSPTF=/path/to/ptf 

make -j4 

The resulting zImage booted just fine but gave a kernel panic about being unable to mount root file system. 

Repeating the exact steps as above with plain "make" instead of "make -j4" gave a kernel plus root file system that worked fine.  

That will teach me to follow directions... I lost a day trying to figure out why my system would not boot anymore :(
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't much care for recursive Make either: http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/books/rmch/

0 Kudos