Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

make_sdimage - Scrpt not working correctly

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

SOLVED: 

Due to my inexperience with Ubuntu/Linux, I did not know of the symlink files. After finding the "real" files and using them I were able to create the sd-image. 

Hi, I'm trying to create a sd-card from rebuilt binaries. 

I've followed the GSRD tutorials on Rocketboards, but I've hit a wall. I have some issues when trying to execute the make_sdimage.py script supplied by Altera/Intel. 

Here is the script call with parameters: 

# sudo ./make_sdimage.py -f -P preloader-mkpimage.bin,u-boot-sockit.img,num=3,format=raw,size=10M,type=A2 -P rootfs/*,num=2,format=ext3,size=1500M -P zImage,u-boot.scr,soc_system.rbf,socfpga.dtb,num=1,format=vfat,size=500M -s 2G -n sd_card_image_cyclone5.bin 

Here is the error output: 

# info: creating the image sd_card_image_cyclone5.bin# info: creating the partition table# info: processing partitions... partition# 1...# error: failed to copy zImage 

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS as a virtual image with VirtualBox. 

Anyone have any ideas what might cause this? 

Folder contents: 

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15455&stc=1
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jacky_R_Intel
Employee

Seeing the same problem - Is there a solution?

Jacky_R_Intel
Employee

Seeing the same problem - Is there a solution?

Susannah_M_Intel
Employee

Did it hang a long time before finally showing an error? When I ran the script it was hanging. I didn't have the patience to wait to see if it finally produced an error. For me, it was a problem with Python interacting with the fdisk command. The system wasn't outputting the output of fdisk in time for the script to interact with it. I think because my virus/security software was doing something with that data buffer in the background. Anyway - what solved it for me was I added stdbuf -i0 -o0 -e0 to the command at the beginning (after sudo and before ./make_sdimage.py .

Susannah_M_Intel
Employee

Oh - I just saw the OP was edited to have a solution. Ah well perhaps my experience relayed above will help someone else :)

LChua3
Partner

forward forum thread from: https://github.com/thinkoco/c5soc_opencl/issues/12

the python script works fine on ubuntu 16.04 , but get stuck on ubuntu 18.04.

This issue may be fixed by rsarwar87 make_sdimage2.py

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rsarwar87/altera-soc-rootfs/master/make_sdimage2.py

MNoli2
Beginner

On ubuntu 18.04 make_sdimage.py hangs on 'info: creating the partition table

' . make_sdimage2.py did not hang.