Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

master_write_32 doesn't come out of master

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have instantiated a JTAG to MM Master block in my FPGA. I can attach to it from the system console and open it without problem. 

However, when I try to do a simple write: 

master_write_32 $path 0x0 0xdeadbeef 

It doesn't come out of the master according to signaltap. 

When I try to read it back: 

master_read_32 $path 0x0 1 

I get:  

0x000000ef. - only the low-order byte 

If I write multiple words, it still takes only that one byte and it doesn't send it out. I'm guessing that it's storing it internally. 

I thought maybe I needed some kind of slave in there, so I instantiated a (redundant) Slave to Master Bridge with full address map enabled and still get the same problem. 

Any ideas what could cause this? 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

One issue was that I was using a master from the 5M chip rather than the Arria 10 on our board. 

That's because my master wasn't showing up with get_service_paths when I used the gui, even if I gave it the proper -device switch. 

Instead, what did work was using the command line: 

quartus_sh -s 

tcl> load_package systemconsole 

tcl> initialize_systemconsole 

tcl> get_service_paths master 

[all masters are shown. My showed up as .../phy_0/master] 

tcl> master_write ... - it worked