Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

mkpimage in Boot Tools User Guide

PHJ
New Contributor I

In section 7.3.2 of the Boot Tools User Guide (ug-1137 | 2018.09.24) is the following description​:

"The header checksum for both versions of the mkpimage header is the CRC checksum of the byte value from offset 0x0 to (n*4)-4 bytes where n is the program length."

Surely, this is the image CRC and not the header checksum ? .....also the description of n seems to apply to version 0 of the header and not version 1.

Is the program length in version 1 of the header guaranteed to be a multiple of 4 bytes ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Currently I am reviewing the forum for any open questions and found this thread. I apologize that no one seems to answer this question that you posted. Since it has been a while you posted this question, I'm wondering if you have found the answer? If not, please let me know, I will try to assign/find someone to assist you. Thank you.

Regards,

Nooraini

PHJ
New Contributor I

Hi Nooraini -

I've moved beyond this now assuming that the description was for the image CRC and not the header CRC and that (n*4)-4 should be used for version 0 header, and (n-4) should be used for version 1 - it would be good to get confirmation that the documentation is indeed incorrect though, and that the program length is guaranteed to be a multiple of 4 bytes.

Thanks,

Paul​

MelvinSwee_T_Intel

hi, Paul

Thank you for the updates. Appreciate your sharing, please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Melvin​

Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi Paul,

Can you please explain more to me how you confirmed that the document is incorrect?

Regards

Ahmed

PHJ
New Contributor I

Hi Ahmed -

I confirmed this by adding a validation routine for new bootloader images that had version 1 of the header - the checksum was correct when done over (n-4) bytes ​- it also makes sense that the length (n) in version 0 headers are in 32-bit words compared with bytes in the version 1 header and therefore needs the x4 factor in the calculation only for version 0 headers.

The text "header checksum" is just incorrect - the header checksum is just the checksum of the header portion of the image - the image checksum is what is described.

Best Regards,

Paul