Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

newbie to SOCkit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

I'm working on system identification and signal processing. I'm gonna work with SOCKit+High Speed AD/DA Card. I've learned pure VHDL. 

my time is limited i'm very concerned about the future of my project! 

I have three questions: 

1-can I write my codes in pure HDL? (only for FPGA not for Cortex-A9) for example consider I can not work with Cortex-A9 so I'll postpone working with Cortex-A9 to next year! 

2-is it necessary to learn Verilog? (the timing is so important for me this is why I've chosen VHDL) if so please introduce a good tutorial for Verilog. 

3-is it necessary to install Linux on SOCKit to use Cortex-A9 or I can work with Cortex-A9 in IAR? maybe I want to process some data on Cortex-A9. actually my sampled signal size is huge. only for 1 sec the data size is 2x65MHzx16Bit! I'm very concerned about the processing on sampled signals due to limited ram capacity. 

Regards
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

1. You can use the FPGA portion of the Cyclone V SoC without using the HPS - the examples that Terasic include for the board has several examples where only the FPGA is used. 

2. Quartus supports Verilog as well as other design methods such as VHDL, so I guess whichever works for you will be the best choice :) 

3. Depends on your need - you can run the HPS using baremetal without Linux (examples available on Altera website). Both baremetal and Linux have their own advantages/disadvantages
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, 

1. You can use the FPGA portion of the Cyclone V SoC without using the HPS - the examples that Terasic include for the board has several examples where only the FPGA is used. 

2. Quartus supports Verilog as well as other design methods such as VHDL, so I guess whichever works for you will be the best choice :) 

3. Depends on your need - you can run the HPS using baremetal without Linux (examples available on Altera website). Both baremetal and Linux have their own advantages/disadvantages 

--- Quote End ---  

thanks for your attentions and recommendations  

actually I've found most of Examples in Verilog. I'm gonna switch to Verilog due to speed up my university project. 

my purpose: 

I'm gonna use Terasic ADA card (2 ch 65MSPS ADC and 125MSPS DAC) i.e the data rate is 2*65M*2Byte=260MB/sec for 2 channel ADC 

I want to implement Continuous Wavelet on FPGA. I'm very concerned about processing large data :| 

in wavelet transformation I have to make convolution between two signals...one solution is getting the FFT of two signal (STFT) and then getting IFFT from the result but I'll lose most of wavelet details due to the FFT transformation.  

how should I handle large data? 

even if I want to use Linux on SOCKit there is no SATA peripheral on the board. I've seen some papers that used USB2 peripheral to transfer such large data to PC! how? 

can I transfer sampled data to PC via Ethernet without HPS? I mean is there any Ethernet controller on the FPGA side? 

thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, I don't have experience dealing with large amount of data like what you mentioned above... Perhaps others can advise on this. That being said, there is a 1GB DDR3 memory on the FPGA and HPS side respectively that you can probably manage using DMAs and a NIOS/HPS. I've seen an FFT implementation here (does not process continuous data, just a snapshot) but maybe you can get some idea out of it: 

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/documentation/ws1introtoalterasocdevices 

Regarding the SATA peripheral - yes you are right that this board does not have it, unless you use one of the expansion card like this: 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=67&no=489 

But then it will probably increase project complexity. Regarding Ethernet/USB, there is only RJ45 jack/USB headers on the HPS side - so again, you can instantiate an Ethernet IP on the FPGA side, but there is no external PHY to hook it up with (unless of course, more add on cards are used).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've checked SoCKit is obsolete! 

SoCKit had good amount of Multipliers 

SoCKit had large RAM capacity (2GB) 

I want to implement DSP algorithm on FPGA 

now what should I do? 

I can't afford to buy a Stratix III Board.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I've checked SoCKit is obsolete! 

SoCKit had good amount of Multipliers 

SoCKit had large RAM capacity (2GB) 

I want to implement DSP algorithm on FPGA 

now what should I do? 

I can't afford to buy a Stratix III Board. 

--- Quote End ---  

I want a SocKit... this was all of my hope 

Do you have a good second hand one?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I didn't know that this kit is already obsolete. If you are not planning to use the HPS, you can consider boards that are non-SoC (FPGA only). Refer to this link: 

https://www.altera.com/products/boards_and_kits/all-development-kits.html 

and see if there is one that suits you :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I didn't know that this kit is already obsolete. If you are not planning to use the HPS, you can consider boards that are non-SoC (FPGA only). Refer to this link: 

https://www.altera.com/products/boards_and_kits/all-development-kits.html 

and see if there is one that suits you :) 

--- Quote End ---  

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50835 

I want to use Terasic ADA card with my future FPGA Board. 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=73&no=278&partno=2 

if I want to sample the DATA and process the data simultaneously I will have many problem 

if I could I might buy an "Aria V GX Starter" but it is also out of stock!!! :confused: 

I know working with DDR3 is too difficult..I've seen Aria V has hardware memory controller.. so can I work with DDR3 RAM easily? due to my limited time. 

thanks
0 Kudos