Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

nios with custom fpga logic

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everybody. I am trying to set up a simple example where I implement a simple XOR gate in fpga logic. Then in C code written for the NIOS processor, I will pass several numbers to be XOR'd, and read back the outputs. 

I am following this example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moc3erbiugy&t=75s

My example would appear to be working, except I read back 0 with the IORD command every time. I write to the base address for my XOR gate (0 offset), and read back from that same address in the next line of main.cpp. Am I reading the XOR result from the correct memory address (i.e. same as write address)? Is there an error in how I pass the numbers to the 2 adder inputs? 

I am attaching screenshots of:  

1. main.cpp (NIOS) 

2. 2 modules I use to implement a simple XOR gate. 

3. screenshot of QSYS set-up. 

I appreciate any ideas thoughts on this. I am puzzled. There are no error messages in the NIOS console/eclipse. 

Thanks, 

Matt
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi @moverlin  

for some reason I can not get to see your screen shots, can you try to re-post them?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is the read latency of your slave interface avalon interface? Seems like your hdl avm_read has latency of 1 cycle. Must set it accordingly in the qsys component.

0 Kudos