Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

nios with custom fpga logic

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everybody. I am trying to set up a simple example where I implement a simple XOR gate in fpga logic. Then in C code written for the NIOS processor, I will pass several numbers to be XOR'd, and read back the outputs. 

I am following this example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moc3erbiugy&t=75s

My example would appear to be working, except I read back 0 with the IORD command every time. I write to the base address for my XOR gate (0 offset), and read back from that same address in the next line of main.cpp. Am I reading the XOR result from the correct memory address (i.e. same as write address)? Is there an error in how I pass the numbers to the 2 adder inputs? 

I am attaching screenshots of:  

1. main.cpp (NIOS) 

2. 2 modules I use to implement a simple XOR gate. 

3. screenshot of QSYS set-up. 

I appreciate any ideas thoughts on this. I am puzzled. There are no error messages in the NIOS console/eclipse. 

Thanks, 

Matt
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi @moverlin  

for some reason I can not get to see your screen shots, can you try to re-post them?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is the read latency of your slave interface avalon interface? Seems like your hdl avm_read has latency of 1 cycle. Must set it accordingly in the qsys component.