Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

nios2 + 8GB DDR3 /DDR3 SDRAM Controller with UniPHY

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm trying to finish a simple test with a nios2/f + 1Mb on-chip memory + DDR3 controller.  

The DDR3 controller is connected to 8Gb DDR3 controller, which I took straight from the board manufacturer's reference/test design and works great. 

However (understandably) when you add a NIOS processor it complains with "Address width above 32 bits are not supported for NIOSII) since the NIOS will not use anything above 4Gb. 

Question# 1 - how do I chop down the DDR in such way that QSYS is happy with it?  

Question# 2 - how I can "share" this memory among several processors, ie make it behave as if it was 4x2GB pieces? 

Thank you
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can try to use Address Span Extender to configure the 2GB window for each Nios.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Mike,  

Thank you. I think that's exactly what is needed.  

However when I add all those to the *same* qsys project, it still complains about the address range. I believe qsys uses the biggest address range as a parameter so therefore I will have to break this down into two or more qsys projects. 

Is making the NIOS a subsystem of the main project a solution? Is there any way to accomplish this inside qsys without having to rewire everything through verilog/top?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have mocked up and attached a Qsys design. Hope it works. Ignore the errors. :)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As far as I am concerned, you might marry my sister now brother, thank you!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You see, after some haggling to erase the other errors, the remaining are one for each NIOS: "Address width above 32 bits are not supported for Nios II".  

So QSYS with NIOS is limited to 32 bit addressing internally no matter what.  

I tried building a subsystem but it seems QSYS does not treat subsystems any differently, it's just a visual aid.  

What I ended up doing is to write them out as two separate qsys blocks and then join them through a pipeline bridge through verilog/top.  

Let's see if it works!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That does not make sense. Did you make sure that the address span extender slave word address width always is 29 bits or lesser?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes I did. I think the reason is because the NIOS ends up having a 32+ bit base address and qsys does not like it, even though NIOS itself wont use it. 

I did that breakdown and encapsulated the 8GB memory into one qsys project and then created 8 x 1 Gb extenders with manual offsets, which were then exported for happy nioses to digest.  

These were then joined through verilog/top. See attachments... 

It seems to work...
0 Kudos