Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

nios2-download capabilities

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I use this command without the -I option, does it check the system ID and timestamp? 

If so, is it getting that from the elf file? 

What does the -I option do specifically? 

If I put a random hex number after the -I then I am still able to download without any error messages, if -I is supposed to check that the current FPGA image matches, then why does this work?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It worked the last time I used it. "-I" checks sysid and "-t" checks the timestamp. I assume you have a sysid component in your Qsys system, correct? You also need to specify the "-s" option: base address of sysid component. 

[UPDATE] Also note that you have to monitor the return codes. See "nios2-download --help" for more information. 

Good luck! 

slacker
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, slacker. 

I had looked at the help, but didn't notice/realise that I had to specify the base address to get it to work. That address also enables the timestamp checking too. 

Thanks, 

Mel