Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

nios2-download: error: wrapper script can only download one file at a time

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am running a very simple sopc system with just a nios2, some onchip memory to store my nios code/data, and a jtag debug port. 

I am able to compile in quartus v10.0 and download the .sof to my cyclone 3 devkit. 

I fire up the NIOS2 EDS v10.0 and build the hello world template project using the .sopcinfo file for my sopc project. 

The NIOS2 EDS then generates the BSP and all the other files for the basic hello world template project. 

I then compile the project successfully.  

I setup the run configuration, am able to detect the attached cyclone 3 devkit now configured with my project's .sof file. 

I hit run and get this error: 

nios2-download: error: wrapper script can only download one file at a time 

Any ideas on what the problem is? I have attached my error log for reference. 

Thanks! 

EDIT: 

My design environment is: 

windows vista business sp2 

32 bit version 

Quartus & NIOS2 EDS version 10.0
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

spaces in filenames ??

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hmmm... 

this line look suspicious. 

--accept-bad-sysid, --sidp=Not Found 

Can you add a SysId component to your system and do it again.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Open a Nios II Command Shell, change directories to where your ELF is located and try the following command: 

nios2-download -g <ELF file> && nios2-terminal 

If that works, great, but you've got some sort of GUI SNAFU/misuse. If not, then post the error message here. 

--slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had the exact same problem and error message recently. I never figured out what triggered it or how to directly fix it. After deleting the run configuration and simply recreating it, the problem went away.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

nios2-download -g <ELF file> && nios2-terminalIf that works, great, but you've got some sort of GUI SNAFU/misuse.  

--- Quote End ---  

For me, this worked. 

In order to make gui work, what should I do? 

reinstall the NIOS2 IDE?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, recreating a Run configuration worked for me. However, I have to do it everytime I restart Eclipse. It is not that much anoying, but does anyone know how to directly fix this? 

We have this issue on 3 different computers and projects. Could it be related to the fact that we are not using the System ID and timestamp and must ignore them?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Perhaps the problem has been fixed in SP1? I haven't tried SP1 yet. 

I never figured out what triggers the problem, only how to work around it. It doesn't seem to happen every time for me. I am not using a system ID or time stamp either, so maybe that is factor.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have SP1, using the system ID and timestamp, and it still happens to me too. I don't have to recreate the run Configuration, but I have to open it. It delays for a number of seconds, like it is trying to find the comm channel or something. When the window finally opens, I just hit 'Run' and it works fine. Next time I just run from the toolbar. 

Occasionally, it gets 'out of sync' again.  

Rinse... Repeat...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the replies. Because of this nasty little bug, I'll probably suggest my students to continue with the slower Nios II 10.0 IDE.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I encountered this error using 10.0 with SP1.  

I resolved it by deleting the Hardware debugging configuration and creating a new one.  

Not a nice bug to tell students because the solution isn't obvious 

A
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is a bug in the EDS. When nios2-download is called, and you have not set a System ID in Nios II Hardware configuration -> Project -> Advanced -> System ID -> ID, the EDS is calling nios2-download with --sidp=Not Found, rather than --sidp="Not Found". Sometimes the system will work regardless, but if you look in the correct console you'll see an error message. It should not be necessary to set that System ID, but setting it to an arbitrary number is a hack to work around the bug. I am using Nios II Software Build Tools for Eclipse (SBT4E) Version: 13.1.0.182 Build id: 201403130039. It would be nice if Altera would fix the bug.

0 Kudos