Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12367 Discussions

nios2-flash-programmer error code 1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi guys. I am new to FPGA world and seems like I am having some difficulties with the flash programmer that I cannot understand. Its giving me an error code 1 which I am unable to find a reference to.  

Purpose of the implementation: test out different functionality of the DE2-115 board. The FPGA part of the program includes SW, KEY, LED, and lcd, all of which is connected to the nios system generated from Qsys 

Qsys: includes clk, cpu, onchip memory, jtag uart, sysid, epcs flash controller and a bunch of PIOs. 

Here is what I did: 

1. set cpu reset vector to epcs. 

2. export externals of epcs flash controllers. it gives me the following input/outputs: 

epcs_flash_controller_external_dclk => CONNECTED_TO_epcs_flash_controller_external_dclk, -- epcs_flash_controller_external.dclk epcs_flash_controller_external_sce => CONNECTED_TO_epcs_flash_controller_external_sce, -- .sce epcs_flash_controller_external_sdo => CONNECTED_TO_epcs_flash_controller_external_sdo, -- .sdo epcs_flash_controller_external_data0 => CONNECTED_TO_epcs_flash_controller_external_data0 --  

3. apply terisic patch. as suggested in their manuals to include nios-2-flash-override 

# EPCS64N(lead-free)sector_size = 65536 sector_count = 128 # EPCS128N(lead-free) sector_size = 262144 sector_count = 64 

3. import some predefined pin assignments given by terasic. 

4. On the Dual-purpose pins page (Assignments > Devices > Device and Pin Options), thefollowing pins are assigned to "Use as regular I/O": Data[0], Data[1], DCLK = Use as regular I/O, FLASH_nCE/nCS0 

5. perform port map 

u0 : component test_niosqsys port map ( clk_clk => CLOCK_50, -- clk.clk lcd_external_RS => LCD_RS, -- lcd_external.RS lcd_external_RW => LCD_RW, -- .RW lcd_external_data => LCD_DATA, -- .data lcd_external_E => LCD_EN, -- .E pio_key_external_connection_export => KEY, -- pio_key_external_connection.export pio_sw_external_connection_export => SW, -- pio_sw_external_connection.export poi_led_external_connection_export => dataop, -- poi_led_external_connection.export reset_reset_n => KEY(0), -- reset.reset_n epcs_flash_controller_external_dclk => DCLK, -- epcs_flash_controller_external.dclk epcs_flash_controller_external_sce => FLASH_nCE, -- .sce epcs_flash_controller_external_sdo => DATA1, -- .sdo epcs_flash_controller_external_data0 => DATA0 -- .data0 -- reset.reset_n );  

Node Direction Fitter Location Data0 Input PIN_AA14 Data1 Output PIN_V1 dclk Output PIN_AG12 FLASH_nCE Output PIN_AD14  

6. program the fpga. 

7. open nios IDE, select BSP Editor from where all components of Settings->Advanced->hal->linker we disabled 

8) built the program and select run as NIOS II hardware. At this point the program is correctly loaded and starts execution. however, upon pressing nios 2 reset key, the program stops since the epcs has not been flashed. 

9. open up nios ii flash programmer from nios2 ide. confirmed timestamp and system id to be a match. add the sof and elf files with default settings. ... press start; and end up with an error saying 

elf2flash --input="/media/rash-ed-u/ubuntu/altera/workspace/nios_cpu/software/prog/prog.elf" --output="/media/rash-ed-u/ubuntu/altera/workspace/nios_cpu/flash/prog_epcs_flash_controller.flash" --epcs --after="/media/rash-ed-u/ubuntu/altera/workspace/nios_cpu/flash/nios_test2_epcs_flash_controller.flash" --verbose nios2-flash-programmer "/media/rash-ed-u/ubuntu/altera/workspace/nios_cpu/flash/prog_epcs_flash_controller.flash" --base=0x81000 --epcs --sidp=0x82040 --id=0x0 --timestamp=1425416806 --device=1 --instance=0 '--cable=USB-Blaster on localhost ' --program --verbose Error: Error code: 1 for command: nios2-flash-programmer "/media/rash-ed-u/ubuntu/altera/workspace/nios_cpu/flash/nios_test2_epcs_flash_controller.flash" --base=0x81000 --epcs --sidp=0x82040 --id=0x0 --timestamp=1425416806 --device=1 --instance=0 '--cable=USB-Blaster on localhost ' --program --verbose  

any idea what might be wrong with what i am doing? 

Thanks 

Cheers 

Rashed
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

found the fix: 

These scripts are not compatible with dash, so modify the first line from# !/bin/sh to# !/bin/bash in the folowing files: 

sof2flash elf2flash elf2hex bin2flash sh_jar.sh 

reference: 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/quartus_for_debian_wheezy
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

found the fix: http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/quartus_for_debian_wheezy 

These scripts are not compatible with dash, so modify the first line from# !/bin/sh to# !/bin/bash in the folowing files: 

sof2flash elf2flash elf2hex bin2flash sh_jar.sh