Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12454 Discussions

niosII-ide not working in 12.0 (Linux)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! 

I have a problem with the newest release of QuartusII/NiosII-IDE (12.0). I run Ubuntu 12.04 and I've gotten both Quartus and the Usbblaster programmer working, but I can't seem to get the nios2-ide (eclipse) to work. 

The entire situation is very strange. Launching the NIOSII software link from the menu in Quartus does absolutely nothing, so I tried launching it manually from a terminal. 

I run: 

$ altera/12.0/nios2eds/nios2_command_shell.sh ------------------------------------------------ Altera Nios2 Command Shell Version 12.0, Build 178 ------------------------------------------------ $ nios2-ide $  

...and the result from the second command (to start the IDE) is... nothing. No error message, no popup, nothing. It just sits there for a few seconds, then return to the prompt. Some further digging led to the (kind of) root of the problem: eclipse. 

$ altera/12.0/nios2eds/bin/eclipse_nios2/eclipse  

The above command has the same behavior. It won't boot eclipse. 

I've verified the following: 

* The nios2-ide was, until very recently, working on linux (I have a previous installation, just a week old and using the 11.1 edition of QuartusII, up and running on a different computer). 

* I can run eclipse on my system. I downloaded Eclipse classic Indigo (Version: 3.7.2, Build id: M20120208-0800), and it works without any problems. 

So, is there a problem with the eclipse package bundled with QuartusII/NiosII-ide 12.0? Has anyone else seen this problem? Is the bug present on Windows too?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I made some progress on this and now have the system running... it is rather ugly, but it works. 

Turns out I was trying to run the wrong executable, when I tried to run: 

$ altera/12.0/nios2eds/bin/eclipse/nios2-ide  

instead, I got some more helpful error messages. Since I'm running a 64-bit system, I was missing some 32-bit gtk libraries. 

I installed (64-bit Ubuntu 12.04): 

$ sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386 libxtst6:i386  

Running nios2-ide still raised a TON of errors, but at least the program started, and is functioning properly (I can compile code and download to my DE2-115). 

...still, this should work out of the box. Alteras linux releases are not exactly optimal...