Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

non-blocking AvMM reads

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have observed that when user application tries to read from a non-existing address the uC hangs, but when doing the same with memory viewer in debug mode, it doesn't. I would assume the debugger is using a different instruction (with some sort of timeout) for read accesses. 

Is it possible to use the same in user application? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The JTAG debugger uses the same instructions as 'normal' code. 

IIRC the avalon cycle usually completes and returns ~0. 

I think there is a menu somewhere to enable a interrupt on an Avalon cycle with an illegal address (but it might be on the 'hidden' options menu). 

I've seen problems where such accesses from PCIe 'trash' the PCIe link - but only on one of the many BARs out system has.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks dsl, I'm one step closer :-)  

but that option is "so well hidden", I couldn't find anything yet... any idea what keyword I should be looking for?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Indeed, you probably have to ask your FAE how to access the nios 'hidden config menu'. 

It contains some useful stuff - some of which probably generates broken cpus. 

We found out about it because I needed to disable dynamic branch prediction.