Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12366 Discussions

pl330 Buffer Overrun in U-Boot with ECC

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

For anyone who has issues with ECC memory and scrubbing in the U-Boot preloader: 

There are some issues with the sdram.c file that ships with the u-boot that comes with Quartus. In general, the buffer sizes for the pl330 DMA initialization are too small for RAM sizes >1 GiB. We are running a Cyclone V with 2 GiB of RAM with ECC, leading to a 40-bit wide interface with two chip selects. 

In order to fix the buffer error, it is necessary to choose a buffer size that is dynamically calculated using preloader parameters, or by hard-coding the size in to the preloader. After some testing (see attached), I was able to work out that pl330_buf1 needed to be 2208 words deep. It is also necessary to change the variable used in sdram_scrub_boot_region by removing the "buf" variable and implementing this change on line 1534 in sdram.c: 

- pl330.buf_size = sizeof(buf); 

- pl330.buf = buf; 

+ pl330.buf_size = sizeof(pl330_buf1); 

+ pl330.buf = pl330_buf1; 

If anyone has any questions about this, just post or send me a note.
0 Kudos
0 Replies