Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

prebuilt U-Boot does not recognize some USB storage devices

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I still haven't figured out how to re-build u-boot such that works for USB storage devices (see post: "rebuilt u-boot does not recognize USB storage devices"). I reverted to using the pre-built U-Boot in order to get some work done. 

The version (same as before) is: 

U-Boot 2013.01.01 (Aug 08 2014 - 10:46:23) 

arm-altera-eabi-gcc.exe (Sourcery CodeBench Lite 2013.11-67) 4.8.1 

GNU ld (Sourcery CodeBench Lite 2013.11-67) 2.23.52.2013091 

This version worked fine for the 3 or 4 different USB sticks I initially tested. Meaning that the USB storage device was found: 

SOCFPGA_CYCLONE5# usb start 

(Re)start USB... 

USB0: scanning bus 0 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found 

scanning usb for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found 

SOCFPGA_CYCLONE5#  

But then as I was preparing a (new) USB stick (different make/model) for a colleague - I got a different result: 

SOCFPGA_CYCLONE5# usb start 

(Re)start USB... 

USB0: scanning bus 0 for devices... DW_USB: Transfer completion interrupt timeout 

Timed out waiting for channel to disable 

1 USB Device(s) found 

scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found 

SOCFPGA_CYCLONE5#  

I rounded up all the USB sticks I had access to and found roughly 60% worked, the other 40% produced this same message "DW_USB: Transfer completion interrupt timeout". 

There doesn't seem to be a property of the USB stick that would indicate whether it's going to work or not. I have sticks from the same vendor - some work, others don't. Capacity doesn't make a difference - some 16GB sticks work, some don't just as much as 2GB sticks. I looked closely at the 'lsusb -v' output and Linux kernel dmesg output generated on insertion and see no one property that would indicate whether a stick would work or not. 

Can somebody who understands the USB support in U-Boot tell me (1) how I can resolve the "DW_USB: Transfer completion..." error, or (2) at the very least tell me what property of a USB stick I can view to know whether it will work or not. I can post some of the lsusb output from failed/working USB sticks if that helps.  

Thanks in advance, 

--George Broz 

Moog Industrial Group
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I have a similar problem. 

It works nice with USB 3.0 flash drives, but does not recognize USB 2.0 

'lsusb -v' output shows 'bcdUSB' property, which indicates interface type. 

Also need to understand why it happens and how to resolve a problem.
0 Kudos