Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

preloader-mkpimage binary from SOC EDS V17.0 is not working

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have installed SOC EDS Standard V17.0 on Ubuntu 17.10. Ubuntu is installed in Virtual Box. 

I am able to create "preloader-mkpimage.bin" and "uboot.img" by using our customized handsoff file. But "preloader-mkpimage.bin" is not working on our board. 

"preloader-mkpimage.bin" and "uboot.img" created on SOC EDS Standard V14.0 with the same handsoff file is working correctly on our board. 

Is there any specific configuration needs to be done for upgrading SOC EDS Standard V17.0 from SOC EDS V14.0 OR is there any specific more input needs to be given in V17.0
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

1. If your GHRD/Project is created using QUARTUS 17.1std you need to use the same version of "SoC EDS" (i.e SoC EDS 17.1std) to avoid the issues. 

2. GHRD was created with Quartus 16 whereas, We are using version 17. Click the Launch IP Upgrade Tool button, and this window will appear, You can safely ignore the warning and click the Perform Automatic Upgrade button. 

Make sure while Generating the preloader in BSP Editor point to correct directory and compile. 

For reference click (https://bitlog.it/hardware/building-embedded-linux-for-the-terasic-de10-nano-and-other-cyclone-v-soc-fpgas/). 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for suggestion. 

I have checked for version for GHRD and SOC EDS and that are same. 

I am facing problem while jumping to application for boot-loader. In V14 jump from boot-loader to application is happening correctly, but in V17 it is not happening. 

In below my code 'preloader-mkpimage.bin' is not working after '__DI(); ' call 

jumptostart = (void (*)()) PHY_APP_IMG_BEGIN; 

Reg_Cpsr = __GETSR(); 

Reg_Cpsr = 0x1d3; 

__SETSR(Reg_Cpsr); 

//_api disable all interrupts 

__DI();  

//MMU DIsable 

MCR(CP15_SCTLR, (0x0));  

//_api SD controller reset before loading APP image. 

SDMMC_Reset(); 

LCDC_LoadBitmap(meatball7); 

jumptostart(); 

"
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After troubleshooting the issue in detail, we found that ‘sdram.c’ file generated by SOC ED V17.1 is different than SOC EDS V14. 

Path for sdram.c : /software/spl_bsp/uboot-socfpga/arch/arm/cpu/armv7/socfpga 

‘sdram.c’ file generated by SOC ED V17.1 calls below two methods in ‘unsigned sdram_mmr_init_full(unsigned int sdr_phy_reg)’ 

sdram_set_protection_config(0, sdram_calculate_size()); 

sdram_dump_protection_config(); 

Because of these two methods our application lock up during boot. 

Our application works correctly after commenting out these two methods. 

Is there any configuration or check box available in SOC EDS V17.1 so that mentioned methods should not get called?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hii VikasP_Altera, 

Can youhelp me bu telling me how did you generate the "uboot.img", i generated the "preloader-mkpimage.bin" file but i don't know how to generate th "uboot .img" 

Im using DE1 soc board? the EDS v16 and quartus v16. 

thank you in advance
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using below two commands from EDS command  

1. make --> To create preloader image 

2. make uboot --> To create uboot image
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello All, I have resolved this problem. New SOC EDS version has special protection feature for SDRAM and that was not working with mine hardware. I have updated code and generated uboot and preloader file and it is working correctly

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hiiii 

thanks
0 Kudos