Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

" Downloading ELF process failed" Cyclone V GT Development board.(5CGTFD9EF35C7)

RJain32
Beginner

I am trying to access DDR3 memory using Quartus 18.1 subscription edition on Cyclone V GT Development board.(5CGTFD9EF35C7). I have used nios processor for programming purpose. I have interconnected all the required components (on chip memory, nios processor, DMA controller,

JTAG UART and external LED, DDR3, clock) using platform designer and set parameters of all components.I have used 100 MHz on board clock frequency oscillator to access DDR3 memory whose minimum data rate frequency is 300 MHz.After assigning pins to all input output port, I have compiled my design. My design compiled successfully and I have programmed my FPGA board by sof file.When I am trying to launch my nios processor to read/write on DDR3 memory, I stuck somewhere and got error " Downloading ELF process failed". I have rechecked my design, all the

pin assignment, reset and clock signal but still not able to identify exact issue of failure of launching of elf file on nios processor.

Kindly provide any solution

I have attached my qsys file (platform designer interconnect diagram).

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Ruchi,

Check your dip switch status of the reset pin.

If reset is active you will face such an issue.

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
RJain32
Beginner

Hello Anand, thanks for reply.

I have checked the reset pin. It is configured properly. I got this message in run configuration " The expected Stdout device name does not match the selected target byte stream device name". I have checked my Stdout name, it is right. Kindly resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Ruchi,

Can you check,

1. Have you loaded the correct sof file?
  2. Eclipse project directory?
  3. Try by ignoring the timestamp mismatch of the system ID?

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
RJain32
Beginner

Hi Anand,

I got time-limited sof file which i have downloaded on my FPGA. I have checked the project directory in eclipse also and ignore the timestamp mismatch of the system ID, still i am getting the same error.

Is there any problem with time-limited sof file?

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Is there any problem with a time-limited sof file?

>>NO,

Try to load the example project which comes with the installation kit.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
JPark222
Novice

Is this issue resolved?

I have a very similar issue with Cyclone10 GX (although I don't think it's device-related).

Currently I’m having trouble downloading elf file (by command or nio2-eclipse GUI)

nios2-download -g my_nios.elf

The only error log I’ve got is this:

Using cable "USB-BlasterII [USB-1]", device 1, instance 0x00

Pausing target processor: not responding.

Resetting and trying again: FAILED

Leaving target processor paused

Yesterday I successfully ran "hello world", but today no more.

And digging on this, I found from Run Configuration page:

The expected Stdout device name does not match the selected target byte stream device name.

Is this just a warning or error I should fix? If error, how do I fix, please?

0 Kudos
qwk000
New Contributor I

Did you resolve this? I'm seeing the same problem YEARS later. I have an old dev-kit, but need to get this working. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos