Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

"HW_MUL_SUPPORT" in Nios2-Linux with MMU supported distribution

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

All, 

Can anyone please explain how enabling/disabling "hw_mul_support" in Nios2-Linux with MMU supported distribution works? I'm using embed multiplier supported SOPC system. When I tested multiplication operation using this system with enabling and disabling HW_MUL_SUPPORT, I did not observe any difference between them. 

Enabling this support in make menuconfig enables "-mno-hw-mul" flag at compile time. Does it create different multiplication instruction at compile time for multiplication operation? I want to trace the assembly instructions that are used for both enabled/disabled support. Can anyone help me? 

Thanks in advance! 

Regards, 

Harshil
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Enabling this support in make menuconfig enables "-mno-hw-mul" flag at compile time. Does it create different multiplication instruction at compile time for multiplication operation? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes. I think there is a separate setting for kernel and apps though. If you are compiling your app separately from uClinux-dist, you'll need to set the flag yourself. 

--- Quote Start ---  

I want to trace the assembly instructions that are used for both enabled/disabled support. Can anyone help me? 

--- Quote End ---  

Look at the disassembly using nios2-linux-gnu-objdump (man objdump).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks "ykozlov"! Thanks for the response. :)

0 Kudos