Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12409 Discussions

reserve SDRAM memory - u-boot "Bad Linux ARM zImage magic!"

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I´m a VHDL guy, not a Linux one, but I want to try out the use of sgmdma Altera IP component, to write directly in HPS SDRAM of Altera Cyclone V Dev Kit. 

By now, I´m using the GHRD 16.1, and as I could see by searching some examples and discussions, I would like to reserve memory from kernel, to avoid conflicts with Linux. I think that this approach would very good to solve my project. 

So, I have just downloaded and get working the GSRD 16.1 at my kit, then I have tried to reserve memory by u-boot script just like indicated in this reference: 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd06132014_165.html 

So, just to clarify: by now what I want is just to test the memory reservation. The problem I have encountered is that with this command: 

setenv bootargs console=ttys0,115200 mem=512m 

I get no error, but just after typing this one: 

setenv mmcboot setenv bootargs console=ttys0,115200 mem=512m root=${mmcroot} rw rootwait;bootz ${loadaddr} - ${fdtaddr} 

I get a "Bad Linux ARM zImage magic!" As you can see below: 

SOCFPGA_CYCLONE5# setenv mmcboot setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 mem=512M root=${mmcroot} rw rootwait;bootz ${loadaddr} - ${fdtaddr} 

Bad Linux ARM zImage magic! 

SOCFPGA_CYCLONE5#  

And after that with a boot command I just can´t boot Linux. 

Could you please help with this issue? Am I doing something stupid or like that? By changing the boot.script and compiling it that error is the same... 

Thank you in advance,  

Lucas
0 Kudos
0 Replies