Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12367 Discussions

same printf routine for two different cores

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hey, I'm a student from University of Waterloo working on thread migration and stuff. I was just wondering if there's a way to have the same printf routine in assembly for two different cores. In a more simpler way, write a hello world program for a core and burn the elf file that it generates on to the other core and make it run. 

I would like to know if it can work provided the addresses to the jtag uarts from both the nios cores are the same.. I hope it makes sense.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

As long as the two cores aren't trying to access the uart simultaneously and you don't use interrupts it should work. You should use a mutex between the two cores and use a driver that does polling instead of waiting for an interrupt.