Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12409 Discussions

sdram timing constraints questions

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi  

in BeMicroM10 full_design example projects , it use ISSI IS42S16400J as sdram. 

https://cloud.altera.com/devstore/platform/15.1.0/nios-ii-full-featured-reference-design-bemicro/ 

the nios system clk is 50M hz, and the clk fpga give to the sdram is 50Mhz -90 degree phase shift 

the sdc file contain the follows: 

set_multicycle_path -from SDRAM_CLK -to [get_ports {SDRAM_DQ[0] .......}] -start -setup 2 

set_multicycle_path -from SDRAM_CLK -to [get_ports {SDRAM_DQ[0] SDRAM_DQ[1] ......-start -hold 1 

set_input_delay -clock SDRAM_CLK -clock_fall -max 5.4 [get_ports {SDRAM_DQ[0].....}] 

set_input_delay -clock SDRAM_CLK -clock_fall -min 2.7 [get_ports {SDRAM_DQ[0] .....}] 

i have several questions: 

1. why the set_input_delay use falling edge? isn't the sdram should be rising edge Synchronous? 

2. because the 20ns clk period is long enough, then i change the phase shift from -90 degree to 144 degree, and i delete the set_multicycle_path, the the "download elf failed" error shows. 

i check the in the eclipse, the timestamp and sysid can be read, so i think the elf file can not be written into the sdram, it must be the timing problem. 

why this happen? it seems like i must use the set_multicycle_path even i have a bigger clk period.
0 Kudos
0 Replies