Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

some questions about nios

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi everyone, i am new to nois, i encouter some problems in my project: 

1. sysid and timesteap errors  

when i start to run or debug in eclipse i meet the sysid and timesteap errors for several times. so i have to regenerate hdl in qsys, recompile design in quartus, rebuild project in eclipse, that wastes a lot time. how can i prevent this happen? 

2.Error starting gdbserver 

i meet this error once in eclipse when i want to run or debug. how to fix it? 

3. use pre-synthesis signals in signaltab analyer 

i find that the signaltap analyer(not plug-in ) is very usrful, especially when there is custom ip.using the signaltap II pre-synthesis to choose the signals i want to monitor is much easier than signaltap II post-fitting, but is the pre-synthesis mode reliable?i can find some signals in pre-synthesis mode that do not exist in post-fitting mode. how can the signaltap analyer guarantee the pre-synthesis signals i want to monitor is "real", will it cause misunderstanding during dubeg? 

4. the quartus compile 

i finish the debug and close eclipse, qsys and quartus, when i open the project again, there are no "green right" symble in the Tasks window, it seems like the project has not been compiled.do i have to re-complied the project? than cost a lot time in a big project . 

5. how to copy project 

it is important to bak projects, so when i finish one stage and i want to move on , i want to copy the project to a new floder, then i bak the old project. 

in soc systems, there are some connections between quartus, qsys, eclipse,  

how can i copy all of them to a new floder and make it still working? 

6. reset the ip 

i see there are reset pins in each ip, is there a instruction in eclipse can let me reset the ip? 

thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi. 

[1] Don't click on Run as NIOS... but click on Run Configurations, this will re-read the values if present and you will not get this error in a high frequency again. 

[2] There are to few information given. 

[3] This is also the way I do, but if someone say it is wrong, please do... Sometimes HDL-Signal-Names are replaced due to reduction of logic inside the synthesis, so the wire exists, but with an other name, but ST will be placed correctly. 

[4] You can click on the Compilation report after re-opening the project. It is located (should be) the fifth symbol on the top, or is located at the menu <Processing> or via Shortcut Cntrl+R 

I hope this helps
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks! your advice are very helpful! 

2.Error starting gdbserver 

this happens when i want to debug or run in nios II in eclipse, the only way i know to solve this is: regenerate hdl in qsys, recompile design in quartus, rebuild project in eclipse...
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi. 

[1] Don't click on Run as NIOS... but click on Run Configurations, this will re-read the values if present and you will not get this error in a high frequency again. 

[2] There are to few information given. 

[3] This is also the way I do, but if someone say it is wrong, please do... Sometimes HDL-Signal-Names are replaced due to reduction of logic inside the synthesis, so the wire exists, but with an other name, but ST will be placed correctly. 

[4] You can click on the Compilation report after re-opening the project. It is located (should be) the fifth symbol on the top, or is located at the menu <Processing> or via Shortcut Cntrl+R 

I hope this helps 

--- Quote End ---  

and i add 2 questions, can you give me more advise?  

thanks a lot !!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

[5] In my mind there should be a way to do so, but it is not generic for all of that stuff. But what is with e.g. SVN or some other version-control-system to backup a temporary state of a system?! 

[6] it depends how you connect the IP-resets with the rest of the system. If you have (just as short example) a PIO-Core which feeds just the reset of several IP-Cores, but not from the NIOS, then you could reset these Cores via accessing the PIO. 

Kind regards
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks for your help!