Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

sopc2dts: cfi-flash & usb isp1362-hcd

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey nios2-community, 

I want to update my kernel from version 2.6.35 to version 3.3, but i have some problems integrating cfi-flash and usb. I'm working with a custom board similar to the neek-board and IP-Cores from Altera (mostly). Furthermore i'm using the neat tool: sopc2dts, which is a great help, but i'm not sure if i made some mistakes regarding the configuration of the device-tree. 

1) cfi-flash: Everytime i use flashcp or ioctls accessing the otp-register my system freezes. Nevertheless i can create a jffs2-filesystem on my older build and use that on my new build. So i can mount the jffs2 on kernel 3.3 and make everything with the files on it. The system just hangs when i access the flash directly over the flash-utilities and/or ioctls. (the ioctl is changing the mode of cfi-flash to MTD_OTP_FACTORY) 

I generated my device-tree with sopc2dts and the configuration regarding the cfi-flash seems to be just right. This is the entry about cfi-flash: 

cfi_flash: flash@0x4000000 { compatible = "ALTR,cfi_flash-9.0", "cfi-flash"; reg = < 0x04000000 0x02000000 >; bank-width = < 2 >; device-width = < 1 >; # address-cells = < 1 >; # size-cells = < 1 >; Linux-Kernel@0 { reg = < 0x00000000 0x00800000 >; }; //end Linux-Kernel@0 filesystem@1000000 { reg = < 0x01000000 0x01000000 >; }; //end filesystem@1000000 }; //end flash@0x4000000 (cfi_flash)My kernel-configuration is: 

-> MTD (x) 

-> MTD_OF_PARTS (x) 

-> CONFIG_MTD_CHAR (x) 

-> MTD_BLOCK (x) 

-> RAM/ROM/Flash chip drivers 

-> MTD_CFI (x) 

-> MTD_CFI_ADV_OPTIONS (x) 

-> MTD_OTP (x) 

-> MTD_CFI_INTELEXT (x) 

-> Mapping drivers for chip access 

-> CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP_OF (x) 

-> BLK_DEV (x) 

2) My USB-device isn't working anymore. It fails when checking the clkrdy signal at isp1362-hcd.c. This is really weird, because everything that was in the header-file nios2 in my older build is also in the device-tree. Here is the entry in my device-tree: 

isp1362_usb_controller: usb@0xa80 { compatible = "nxp,isp1362-1.0", "nxp,usb-isp1362"; reg = < 0x00000A80 0x00000008 0x00000B28 0x00000001 >; interrupt-parent = < &cpu_linux >; interrupts = < 10 11 >; }; //end usb@0xa80 (isp1362_usb_controller)I just added "nxp,usb-isp1362" to the compatible string. I think this has to happen otherwise uClinux can't load any driver at all. Btw here is the code snippet from the clkrdy check in isp1362-hcd.c: 

/* chip has been reset. First we need to see a clock */ t = jiffies + msecs_to_jiffies(timeout); while (!clkrdy && time_before_eq(jiffies, t)) { spin_lock_irqsave(&isp1362_hcd->lock, flags); clkrdy = isp1362_read_reg16(isp1362_hcd, HCuPINT) & HCuPINT_CLKRDY; spin_unlock_irqrestore(&isp1362_hcd->lock, flags); if (!clkrdy) msleep(4); } spin_lock_irqsave(&isp1362_hcd->lock, flags); isp1362_write_reg16(isp1362_hcd, HCuPINT, HCuPINT_CLKRDY); spin_unlock_irqrestore(&isp1362_hcd->lock, flags); if (!clkrdy) { pr_err("Clock not ready after %lums\n", timeout); ret = -ENODEV; } return ret;What am I missing here? I guess something is wrong with my device-tree but I checked a lot of entries in your newslist. I don't know what could be wrong here, so any help would be great. 

For information purpose I attached our sopcinfo file. Thanks in advance. 

kind regards, 

Tobias Biehl
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey guys, 

my cfi-flash is now working again :) 

I dont know why flashcp froze my system. I simply made a new kernel-configuration and now it works perfect. I guess I had messed up my config somewhere. 

Nevertheless accessing the otp-register from my cfi-flash was still causing a kernel-panic, Null Pointer reference in particular. I looked through the code and I stumbled on something. When I'm calling ioctl with OTPSELECT to change the mode, the function otp_select_filemode is called in mtdchar.c. There is a call to another function: 

/* * Make a fake call to mtd_read_fact_prot_reg() to check if OTP * operations are supported. */ if (mtd_read_fact_prot_reg(mtd, -1, -1, &retlen, NULL) == -EOPNOTSUP P) return -EOPNOTSUPP; I dont know if its really a bug, but thats the cause of my kernel-panic. the 3rd parameter is len with type size_t. size_t is defined to be __kernel_size_t which is defined as unsigned long. So this would cause an overflow of len. In read_fact_prot_reg() is another call to the function cfi_intelext_otp_walk, which does mostly all the work except the actual read from the otp-register. This does do_otp_read (action points to that function). The code-lines: 

while (len > 0) { /* flash geometry fixup */ data_offset = reg_prot_offset + 1; data_offset *= cfi->interleave * cfi->device_type; reg_prot_offset *= cfi->interleave * cfi->device_type; reg_fact_size *= cfi->interleave; reg_user_size *= cfi->interleave; if (user_regs) { groups = reg_user_groups; groupsize = reg_user_size; /* skip over factory reg area */ groupno = reg_fact_groups; data_offset += reg_fact_groups * reg_fact_size; } else { groups = reg_fact_groups; groupsize = reg_fact_size; groupno = 0; } while (len > 0 && groups > 0) { if (!action) { } else if (from >= groupsize) { from -= groupsize; data_offset += groupsize; } else { int size = groupsize; data_offset += from; size -= from; from = 0; if (size > len) size = len; ret = action(map, chip, data_offset, buf, size, reg_prot_offset, groupno, groupsize); if (ret < 0) return ret; buf += size; len -= size; *retlen += size; data_offset += size; } groupno++; groups--; } well, len is positive, groups will be 1. from is actually -1, so else. And there is a call action() with our buf which is NULL. In there the function tries to copy data to that location -> kernel panic 

I solved this problem changing the 3rd parameter -1 to 0. I guess this was the idea afterall, that the function just checks if there are otp-register and not trying to read them. 

Maybe I wrote too much here, but now you guys can easily track down this one, if its really a bug. I guess it is, correct me if I'm wrong =) 

And my usb is still not working properly, so if anybody knows something there, i would appreciate it. 

kind regards, 

Tobias Biehl