cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

sqrtf custom instruction gives sometimes absolutely wrong results

I use Quartus 13.1.0.182 web edition with a Cyclone III FPGA 

The project is compiled with the Floating point custom instruction 2.0 from Qsys. 

My code calculates the square root and some times the results is absolutely wrong. 

I checked (in disassembly) that custom instruction 251 is called like expected. 

Here is the code: 

#include "altera_nios_custom_instr_floating_point_2.h" float temp1, sinDelta, debugVal, cosDelta; temp1 = sinDelta * sinDelta; debugVal = 1.0f - temp1; cosDelta = sqrtf(debugVal);  

And here are the variables results (obtained during debugging): 

sinDelta: 0.000162738579 (0x392aa4ce) 

temp1: 2.64838445e-008 (0x32e37e97) 

debugVal: 0.99999994 (0x3f7fffff) 

cosDelta: 0.5 (0x3f000000) 

The cosDelta should be around "1". Is seems the custom square root encounters issues with results near 1! 

Do I do something wrong or is it an Altera implementation bug?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Looks that way, probably failing to increment the exponent when the mantissa is rounded up. 

FWIW you'll probably get better precision from calculating one of sqrt((1+sin)*(1-sin)) or sqrt(0.5 - sin*sin + 0.5).
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

Looks that way, probably failing to increment the exponent when the mantissa is rounded up. 

FWIW you'll probably get better precision from calculating one of sqrt((1+sin)*(1-sin)) or sqrt(0.5 - sin*sin + 0.5). 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for your reply. 

Even if your fix works in this special case (not already test), I don't really trust this sqrt hardware function! There is no guaranty it would not do the same with an other rounded. I should ask Altera directly
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Neither of those expressions will help the bug, just give extra precision. 

And I should also have suggested: sqrt((0.5+sin+0.5)*(0.5-sin-0.5)).
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Its a bug and will be fixed....