Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12597 Discussions

the first code in C++ in Quartus II 13.0sp1 (64-bit) Web Edition

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After Regards ,, 

I am a beginner in the use of FPGA ALTERA Cycllone II what are the steps to start writing simple code in C language and its implementation please help you friends . 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Mohkredi 

Download Cyclone II Kit for Demonstrations files and go through the documents. 

Check for simple example like:Hello world for coding  

Click 1 (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/tt/tt_qsys_intro.pdf) 2 (http://faculty.lasierra.edu/~ehwang/courses/cptg445/notes/my%20first%20nios%20ii.pdf

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i need the steps to write simple code in C or C++ example : sum of matrix element

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

i need the steps to write simple code in C or C++ example : sum of matrix element 

--- Quote End ---  

It is unclear what your goal is. Are you looking to write C/C++ code that runs on a processor subsystem instantiated in an FPGA (like NIOS or SOC), or are you expecting to write C/C++ code that is compiled directly to FPGA logic cells / hardware? 

If the former, there are NIOS soft core processors available for the Cyclone II FPGA (and development boards which I suspect you would be using). However, this is not really using an FPGA to be an FPGA; what you would be doing is just running C code on a processor. You could do that on an Arduino board for much less cost, and a much simpler environment. 

Otherwise, if you want to run something that looks like C/C++ on an FPGA, then you might explore the OpenCL environment that is available for some FPGA boards (however not Cyclone II I believe, but I could be wrong). Google 'altera opencl' to get lots of links to doing this. 

Here's the first link I come up with: https://www.altera.com/products/design-software/embedded-software-developers/opencl/overview.html so you might want to start there.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you  

yes i want to write code C++ or C on processor NIOS i use board Cyclone II , Can i use NIOS to implement Deep learning algorithms like Deep Belife network algorithm in FPGA ?? What steps do I need to help you?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

thank you  

yes i want to write code C++ or C on processor NIOS i use board Cyclone II , Can i use NIOS to implement Deep learning algorithms like Deep Belife network algorithm in FPGA ?? What steps do I need to help you? 

--- Quote End ---  

I am not familiar with those specific class of algorithms, but you can run C/C++ programs using the NIOS soft processor on a CycloneII based board. However, be aware the processor is limited in performance (better than an Arduino, not better than a single/dual core ARM on a SOC). Depending on the board design and NIOS system implementation there may be program size restrictions (I am assuming that your algorithms are probably very memory intensive).  

As far as helping me, there is nothing further I need. You however need to do a lot of reading and research.
0 Kudos