Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

the "signed" type i/o in vhd file disapear when i try to add my new component

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi every one; 

i write my own component in vhd and try to add it in qsys, 

in the component editor, i and my vhd file and click analyze files, it shows 0 errors and 0 warnings. 

but in the signals & interfaces tab, i can not find the "signed" i/o in vhd files 

like: 

S_encoder1_Z_reg_out : out STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(1 downto 0); 

S_encoder1_AB_for_interpolation_reg_out : out STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(1 downto 0); 

S_encoder1_period_counter_reg_out : out signed(31 downto 0); 

the "signed" signal does not appear in signals & interfaces tab, the std_logic and std_logic_vector signals are ok 

how can i fix this? 

should i have to change the signed to std_logic_vector?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

btw: 

i have included the IEEE.NUMERIC_STD in vhd file 

use IEEE.NUMERIC_STD.ALL;
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

hi every one; 

i write my own component in vhd and try to add it in qsys, 

in the component editor, i and my vhd file and click analyze files, it shows 0 errors and 0 warnings. 

but in the signals & interfaces tab, i can not find the "signed" i/o in vhd files 

like: 

S_encoder1_Z_reg_out : out STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(1 downto 0); 

S_encoder1_AB_for_interpolation_reg_out : out STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(1 downto 0); 

S_encoder1_period_counter_reg_out : out signed(31 downto 0); 

the "signed" signal does not appear in signals & interfaces tab, the std_logic and std_logic_vector signals are ok 

how can i fix this? 

should i have to change the signed to std_logic_vector? 

--- Quote End ---  

Prefered method to describe external interface for module - std_logic_vector and in implementation you can use casting to or from another type. 

Hope this problem not due optimisation when CAD rename or even remove unused ports. 

Perhaps if std_logic_vector works for you then you can use workaround : 

entity BlaBlaBla is port ( S_encoder1_period_counter_reg_out : out std_logic_vector (31 downto 0 )); end BlaBlaBla; architecture v of BlaBlaBla is signal S_encoder1_period_counter_reg : signed (31 downto 0 ); begin S_encoder1_period_counter_reg_out <= std_logic_vector(S_encoder1_period_counter_reg); end v;
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Signed/unsigned are perfectly fine for you to use in your HDL design, even at the top level. 

But QSYS is pretty rubbish, and only allows std_logic/std_logic_vector ports: 

Answer: dont use QSYS or just do an internal conversion, as alex suggests above.