Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12599 Discussions

there can i get any help for S80 dsp board?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the ds_stratix_dsp_bd_pro_1s80.pdf give a method to download a user configuration into flash memory by 

using Write2Flash.exe utility, and it said: 

5. Press SW1 on the board to erase the previous user configuration 

from flash memory. The seven-segment display should read 00. It 

actually counts backwards in hex from the value 20h (32 decimal) to 

00. Depending on how fast the configuration erases, you may or may 

not see the counting. 

when i remove JP18 and power up,the seven-segment display F.F., 

and Press SW1 ,the seven-segment display 33. It can't like the PDF said display 00. and when using Write2Flash.exe to download data,and power up,the seven-segment also display . 

why? are there any dsp s80 board made by engineers or used by customers?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

when i remove JP18 and power up,the seven-segment display F.F., 

and Press SW1 ,the seven-segment display 33. It can&#39;t like the PDF said display 00. and when using Write2Flash.exe to download data,and power up,the seven-segment also display .[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

We have had a brand new stratix dsp kit (i think it was a std device ep1s25 device though not sure) which never worked for flash programming as described in the PDF manual. I dont recall if it had similar diagnostic (Display 33), but our friendly FAE updated the board and now it works again. I am not sure what was updated: the flash or the EPMxxxx config controller, but at least one of them were reloaded. I was not permitted to get a copy of the update code, which anyway would be useless for the PRO board.  

My advice to you is to contact your altera FAE or whoever you talk to at altera and get a reconfig done. The flash programming works on all the boards (also pro&#39;s) we have when following the PDF manual instructions. So in your case something is certainly broken. 

In this problem I am affraid you are entirely in the hands of altera, as there are no documentation/code of the flash EPMxxxx config controller nor the flash memory layout.  

I have with much regret and surprise not been able to get this information from MySupport. One one would expect this to be readily available on a dev kit to easy port to custom hardware. The schematic is available in the kit, but not the code. The nios kits do have this information, but they are different from the stratix dsp kits.  

Needles to say, any information would be appreciated here as this is rather frustrating when, as we are, trying to port nios to the dsp kits. In particular the flash is giving problems for the moment. 

We have experienced a problem that the WriteToFlash.exe were missing a dll file in ditribution cd, but this is independent of the board erase cycle. 

regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for this useful information. I also have a ep1s25 dsp board.It&#39;s also the same problem.the resource is very limited to these boards. Dose the FAE only update the hardware driver(EPM or Flash)? 

I think it&#39;s not this tip cause I used TEST program to open the Flash,it&#39;s not work that this progress has no relation with the EPM.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

by the way ,how can i get the missed .dll file,can you send me a copy? or i have to contact FAE.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Dose the FAE only update the hardware driver(EPM or Flash)?[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

My answer were 

--- Quote Start ---  

I am not sure what was updated: the flash or the EPMxxxx config controller, but at least one of them were reloaded.[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

No rework was done, if thats what you mean by your question. 

--- Quote Start ---  

I think it&#39;s not this tip cause I used TEST program to open the Flash,it&#39;s not work that this progress has no relation with the EPM.[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

I dont understand exactly what you mean. I do though like to know what TEST program you mean. You have to be more specific. Do I understand that you ran some flash programmer test program on the flash? If thats the case this may be the cause of your trouble: you have overwritten /erased the safe boot image. In that case you got FAE written all over your problem! 

The safe image is loaded upon reset into stratix without JP18 in place and contains most likely a nios procssor which receives commands and data from the write2flash_s80_v3.exe/write2flash_s25_v3.exe. Commands which will load data into the flash at some address (unfortunately undocumented as far as I know). An address which is used as starting base when a power up is done with JP18 in place. JP18 holds A21 (STD brd) A22 (Pro brd)=GND when in place if out, A21/A22 =VCC, so the safe boot is somewhere at a high address. 

--- Quote Start ---  

how can i get the missed .dll file,can you send me a copy?[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

Can you start the write2flash_S25_v3.exe/write2flash_S80_v3.exe program at all? 

If you can then you have the DLL on your system somewhere adn this is not a problem. If not it will tell you very explicitly that it needs xxxx.dll. I dont recall at this place what the file is named. Try search internet for the file in that case. Anyway, this has _nothing_ to do with your problem on your boards in any case.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I&#39;ve emailed someone and I hope the respond and can help you. 

Short story is that The new kits and the old kits were made by differnt people under different processes. I can help more with new DSP kits.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you have a board with AMD flash on it? 

If so, email me and I can send you the &#39;solution&#39;. 

It&#39;s a zip file. So, I can&#39;t just type it here. 

khallbec@altera.com
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by kerri@Dec 22 2004, 04:28 PM 

do you have a board with amd flash on it? 

if so, email me and i can send you the &#39;solution&#39;. 

it&#39;s a zip file. so, i can&#39;t just type it here. 

khallbec@altera.com 

--- Quote End ---  

Are you using the board labeled ALTERA STRATIX DSP S80 Development Board Rev. 1.2? 

dsp development board, stratix professional edition (http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-dsp_stratix_pro.html). 

Incidentally, the photo on that page is incorrect. It shows the S25 board. 

I might be able to help you with those. 

Kerri, would you be so kind as to send me your zip file so I can compare it with what I&#39;m using? Our former Altera rep sent me something, but it had shortcuts in it instead of executables. uSoft 1 Altera 0. 

Thanks. 

Leslie 

leslie@ptgroupinc.com
0 Kudos