Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

toolchain. Plese point me to the right direction

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello All,  

after nearly a month trying to compile the toolchain required to start writing some apps, I am just giving up on the whole thing 

Can someone point me to where I can find the lates binary toolchain? 

on the install nios II linux on altera wiki, it tells me to download the 20100621 tarball 

but it says that if i have problems compiling the toolchain I should download the 20080203 binary tool chain 

my questions are: 

-should I just you that binarytoolchain with the 2010 library? 

- I'm on ubuntu 11.04 , X64 system, do I relly need the 4.2 gcc, and if so where do you guys get it form because its not even at the ubuntu 11.04 repositories. 

- also if when I download the binary toolchain , should I just drop it in the ..../nios2-linux/toolcahin-builds/ folder? 

thanks a bunch its my first time trying to run an embedded linux enviroment. 

I appreciate all the help I can get.  

Please help. I am really on a dead end here.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey guys,  

Sorry for the bump. 

Im really in a bind here. I actually during the weekend have untarred the 2008 toolchain  

inside of the .../nios2-linux/toolchain-build (where the $PATH points to) and I have tried to compile the hello world from the install niosII linux page. 

and I get an error that it cannot open the header file.  

Thanks for any help 

Gabriel
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you trying to compile the toolchain for Linux with or without an MMU? 

I recommend using a 32-bit host to compile the toolchain -- I never had any success on 64-bit.
0 Kudos