Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12436 Discussions

toolchain. Plese point me to the right direction

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello All,  

after nearly a month trying to compile the toolchain required to start writing some apps, I am just giving up on the whole thing 

Can someone point me to where I can find the lates binary toolchain? 

on the install nios II linux on altera wiki, it tells me to download the 20100621 tarball 

but it says that if i have problems compiling the toolchain I should download the 20080203 binary tool chain 

my questions are: 

-should I just you that binarytoolchain with the 2010 library? 

- I'm on ubuntu 11.04 , X64 system, do I relly need the 4.2 gcc, and if so where do you guys get it form because its not even at the ubuntu 11.04 repositories. 

- also if when I download the binary toolchain , should I just drop it in the ..../nios2-linux/toolcahin-builds/ folder? 

thanks a bunch its my first time trying to run an embedded linux enviroment. 

I appreciate all the help I can get.  

Please help. I am really on a dead end here.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey guys,  

Sorry for the bump. 

Im really in a bind here. I actually during the weekend have untarred the 2008 toolchain  

inside of the .../nios2-linux/toolchain-build (where the $PATH points to) and I have tried to compile the hello world from the install niosII linux page. 

and I get an error that it cannot open the header file.  

Thanks for any help 

Gabriel
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you trying to compile the toolchain for Linux with or without an MMU? 

I recommend using a 32-bit host to compile the toolchain -- I never had any success on 64-bit.