Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12408 Discussions

triple speed ethernet upgrading to nios ii/f problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

I am working on a project on a DE2-115 board that involves both a NIOS processor and the triple speed Ethernet IP core , the problem is that nios ii/e processor works well with the mentioned IP core but when trying to upgrade the processor to nios ii/f it doesn't work and it hangs at the step doing the software reset to the PHY chip. 

Do anyone have the same issue, or have any suggestion for fixing this issue ? 

Thanks in advance and highly appreciate your response.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Are the Nios II/f and Ethernet IP core running at the same frequency? If they are not in the same frequency, try adding a clock crossing bridge in between them.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thanks mikedsouze for your reply. 

Yes, they are working at the same clock domain (100 MHZ). 

Even when I applied the provided example by Altera " Using Triple-Speed Ethernet on DE2-115 Boards " it only works with the NIOS ii/e and doesn't work with NIOS ii/f. 

appreciate your help.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Can the system runs "Hello world" ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Yes I can run the hello world in case if I bypass this step "phy software reset ", cause the program runs infinitely through the while loop of the mentioned step
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi,Actually i've the same problem but with the DE4. The TSE Tutorial provided by Altera use the NiosII/s classic processor, but when it's upgraded to NiosII/f the same software application stall in PCS reset and MAC reset, so i made the configuration steps described on ug_ethernet.pdf (TSE User Guide) and neither worked. I'm trying to figure out where/what's the problem here too.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thanks jnasselle for your update , I have done also several trials (putting a clock bridge between NIOS and TSE , clock crossing bridge ) but unfortunately it doesn't work. 

anyway thanks again, I will keep trying, and pls let me know if you reach to anything regarding this issue and I will do the same as well
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

The solution was to disable the data cache of the NiosII/f :)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi jnasselle 

Thanks alot, You really made my day :) 

I wanna be your friend ;) 

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Disabling the Data-cache makes the /f compatible with /s. 

For compatibility between Nios II/s you will need t o set the following settings in Nios II/f: 

No Data cache 

No Tightly Coupled Data master 

Static branch prediction 

No MMU/MPU support 

Internal Interrupt Controller 

No shadow register