Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

u-boot-altera environment?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i've been looking some yesterday for the cyclone v handbook, and when i found it and had a look at it, the one thing im looking for it not mentioned, its the environment variables. 

i've been toying some but very limited before with u-boot for the sunxi arch, and they had a config file with the kernel, where you specify kernel args and so on, but the question is,  

is all that hardcoded in u-boot-altera or is it supposed to work the same way?  

the spl bit of uboot (the preloader) does have a hardcoded link to where to find the 0xA2 partition for the bootloader, that has place for 4 bootloaders (this is coverd int the handbook) but the bootloader where it looks for bootpartition/kernel and naming and so on, that i cant find, i guess its hardcoded.. 

the end game with this is something like Linux from scratch embedded edition to get a look into embedded linux ( i know i can use uClinux, arch linux arm, ubuntu etc and get a full rootfs but i want to see if i can get it running myself on the HPS on my DE1-SoC.. 

found this link: 

http://xillybus.com/tutorials/u-boot-image-altera-soc 

it goes through some of uboots env variables.. 

update: 

if i understood socfpga_cyclone5.h correct its partition 1 is the 0xA2 raw partition with uboot, and partition 2 on the mmc is root + boot partition as linux ext3/4 partition.. so its a one partition layout for linux but a extra raw partition for uboot..
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i think the best is flash with the ghrd SD card image version with winimage, and use the preconfigured partitions as base platform, and just update what ever you need whether uboot, preloder or application image. Manual build partition with third party tool may cause unnecessary problems.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yup, we have that supported too.  

If you enable the FAT support in Preloader, it will look for the file name that is specified (which is u-boot.img by default). 

User can use any image by just renaming it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The spl preloader generation is quite direct as already come with more gui basis, but is the u-boot/boot loader that which is with more manual step required for the generation .

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Or you can just use the prebuild Sd from rocketboard.org. Is in the installation example is very basic , in order to support more examples , the updated in the web is better choice.

0 Kudos