Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

uClinux - Download zImage to Nios Processor Problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After I compile and build a custom kernel, with a zImage created using NiosII_cycloneII_2c35_full_featured_sopc.ptf from nios2eds 9.0 design suite, I then proceed to download the zImage to the altera DE2 board.  

After I configure the sof file for the board the HEX displays show weird characters, some are turned off completely. They do not all display 0 like they do if I use the pre-built binary image found here http://www.nioswiki.com/operatingsystems/u...x/tryoutuclinux (http://www.nioswiki.com/operatingsystems/uclinux/tryoutuclinux) for the DE2 2C35 dev board. So this made me think there is a problem with the full_featured sof file that I am using but it configures to completion. So then when I proceed to download the customized zImage (said above) I get the following error... 

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Pausing target processor: not responding. 

Resetting and trying again: FAILED 

Leaving target processor paused  

Any help regarding this matter is greatly appreciated.  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I record a tutorial video about how to boot uclinux on Nios II Processor with MMC 

I used DE2-115 as reference but you can use any board that you like 

Link to tutorial video: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxlyezof0rs
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

After I configure the sof file for the board the HEX displays show weird characters, some are turned off completely.  

--- Quote End ---  

I think this problem could be caused by some incorrect pin name. I've solved this by manually changing these pins names

dram_ba_1 --> dram_ba[1]  

dram_ba_0 --> dram_ba[0] 

dram_udqm --> dram_dqm[1]  

dram_ldqm --> dram_dqm[0] 

After this change, the HEX displays will be all 8. 

--- Quote Start ---  

So then when I proceed to download the customized zImage (said above) I get the following error... 

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Pausing target processor: not responding. 

Resetting and trying again: FAILED 

Leaving target processor paused  

--- Quote End ---  

Had the same problem. The solution for me was that I had to keep open the opencore plus status window that pops up when you download the time limited .sof file into the board with Quartus (Programmer). 

Hope this can be useful for someone!:D
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

You say that your tuto (DE2-115) works with any board. I do exactly the same but with a DE2 Board with 8Mo SDRAM and it's doesn't work. What is the trouble? 

My zImage is bigger than your (my 4.1Mo)? 

Thank's
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi cerialtera, 

Yes, 4Mb zImage is too big for DE2 with only 8M memory. 

- Hippo
0 Kudos