Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

uClinux and MAC opencore

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Sirs: 

I am now trying to work with uClinux and MAC opencores but i have the following error when i try to generate the kernel: 

include/nios2_system.h:48:2: warning:# warning Could not execute ...scripts/nios2_system.h/OpenCores_Ethernet_MAC.pm. I have seen there is such file and the content is: 

package opencores_ethernet_mac; 

use base qw(BasicModule); 

use strict; 

sub required_module_names { 

("igor_mac") 

sub required_class_name { 

"opencores_ethernet_mac"; 

sub run { 

opencores_ethernet_mac->run2 (@_); 

1; 

Any idea about what is going wronly?. 

Thanks 

Jorge
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you send me the system PTF file that you're building the kernel against via e-mail? I'll see if I can reproduce the problem  

ken.wong@microtronix.com
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Jorge, I tried compiling a kernel using the PTF file you provided and I didn't have any problems creating the nios2_system.h file. There were no# warning pre-processor directives within the file. 

Could you e-mail me the results of your kernel build using the original "opencores_ethernet_mac.pm" file (instead of using the one that you modified). I need more context surrounding the# warning message that you got. 

One other question... Are you using the Opencores.org Ethernet MAC that we provide? Or did you get yours from somewhere else? I only ask because there were some differences in how the opencores_ethernet_mac name was spelled out in your PTF file than from what we provide in our kits.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Ken: 

I am afraid i got it from somewhere else not from Microtronix. It works with NIOS II and Lightweight IP and i though it could work with linux. 

However, could i test the Microtronix Opencores?. Could you send it to me?. 

Regards 

Jorge Domingo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You should take a look at our website for more information regarding our Opencores.org EMAC development kit. 

Although in all honesty, I don't know if it's the component itself that's causing problems. Were there any other difficulties when you were installing the Nios II Linux Distribution that you can think of?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello: 

I don´f find any other error in fact if i strip away the opencores option in the kernel menu I am able to generate a binary file if i tick again the opencores option the same error come up: 

------------------------------------------------ 

Microtronix Linux Extensions 

Version 1.4, Built June 20, 2005 

------------------------------------------------ 

make: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/altera/kits/nios2/bin/eclipse/plugins/com.microtronix.nios2linux.kernel_1.4.0/linux-2.6.x' 

no emulation specific options. 

Using /cygdrive/c/altera/kits/nios2/bin/eclipse/plugins/com.microtronix.nios2linux.kernel_1.4.0/linux-2.6.x as source for kernel 

GEN /cygdrive/c/altera/kits/nios2/bin/eclipse/workspace/linuxdb/build/Makefile 

CHK include/linux/version.h 

CHK include/nios2_system.h 

Could not execute ...scripts/nios2_system.h/OpenCores_Ethernet_MAC.pm 

Error message follows: 

Undefined subroutine &OpenCores_Ethernet_MAC::run called at (eval 1) line 1, <STDIN> line 3372. 

HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep 

etc... 

Thanks 

Jorge
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It still looks like a case issue. Try renaming the opencores_ethernet_mac.pm file so that it matches the output you see in your kernel build. 

You&#39;ll also need to go through the opencores_ethernet_mac.pm file and fix any case issues in there as well... I&#39;m afraid this is as far as I can take this issue. We only guarantee that the opencores emac driver we package up works with our Opencore EMAC package.
0 Kudos