Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

uClinux boot from epcs ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If someone like me wants to run uCLinux on a Nios2 but the fpga must not be a bga type then the biggest fpga available is EP2C20 with QFP 240 pins. That one can be handsoldered http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif (Done that several times before) 

To have a lot of memory a would like to include sdram and of course a compact flash. as i would like to get rid of the cfi as the fpga will boot from epcs i asked myself if it could be possible to have only fpga + sdram + a big epcs + cf. after an AS configuration from the epcs nios could boot from epcs. 

now my question has anybody done this ? booting uCLinux from epcs. but not the whole uclinux. i think of a smal bootloader like lilo (grub under debian) that loads the rest from a compact flash card that can&#39;t be big enough :-) 

Regards Michael
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Michael, 

> booting uCLinux from epcs. but not the whole uclinux. i think of a smal bootloader 

> like lilo (grub under debian) that loads the rest from a compact flash card that 

> can&#39;t be big enough 

You can use u-boot in such a design ... as it supports CF as well as epcs. If your 

epcs is large enough, you could fit the entire kernel ... u-boot can load, decompress, 

and boot a gzip/bzip kernel image (same goes for CF of course). 

Currently, I load u-boot from epcs and then boot a gzipped kernel image (~520 KB) 

either from parallel flash, a tftp server, or an NFS server. Same goes for the cramfs 

filesystem (which gets stuffed into SDRAM as well). 

Regards, 

--Scott
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by smcnutt@Feb 22 2006, 04:43 PM 

hi michael, 

>  booting uclinux from epcs. but not the whole uclinux. i think of a smal bootloader 

> like lilo (grub under debian) that loads the rest from a compact flash card that 

> can&#39;t be big enough 

you can use u-boot in such a design ... as it supports cf as well as epcs. if your 

epcs is large enough, you could fit the entire kernel ... u-boot can load, decompress, 

and boot a gzip/bzip kernel image (same goes for cf of course). 

currently, i load u-boot from epcs and then boot a gzipped kernel image (~520 kb) 

either from parallel flash, a tftp server, or an nfs server. same goes for the cramfs 

filesystem (which gets stuffed into sdram as well). 

regards, 

--scott 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=12890) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Related to this, what are the advantages of using U-boot? I mean, Altera seems to have included a nice little boot copier that copies code from either CFI or EPCS to RAM and then boots, along with their flash programming utility. So to boot a kernel from EPCS, it should be as simple as downloading it to the config device and pointing to the altera boot copier. 

Are there any advantages of U boot?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by jdhar@Feb 28 2006, 01:46 AM 

related to this, what are the advantages of using u-boot? i mean, altera seems to have included a nice little boot copier that copies code from either cfi or epcs to ram and then boots, along with their flash programming utility. so to boot a kernel from epcs, it should be as simple as downloading it to the config device and pointing to the altera boot copier. 

are there any advantages of u boot? 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=12981) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

I boot from EPCS with the Altera boot copier and it works perfectly (Only with Quartus 5.1 and NiosII 5.1, the 5.0 versions had a bug which made it VERY slow). But if you want more control, load the kernel over the network, change parameters, choose a different kernel each time you boot etc. you need u-boot.  

I personally don&#39;t need it since I just use one kernel which I stored in EPCS. But the Altera bootcopier gives you zero flexibility.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I gotcha, makes sense. Do you know why Alteras flash programmer doesn&#39;t verify the contents of the EPCS when it programs? It just says "Did not attempt to verify device contents, leaving target processor paused"... when programming the EPCS.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi jdhar, 

The Altera boot copier is a bare-bones crt0 implementation. It does exactly what you 

need it to do ... in only a handful of instructions ... nothing more. u-boot however, is 

a full-featured boot-loader, not just a "a nice little boot copier". In addition 

to the features wgoossens mentioned, u-boot also supports the following: 

- Command line interface via JTAG/UART. 

- Full epcs support read/write/program/protect. 

- Serial port download using kermit. 

- File download via Ethernet using TFTP and/or NFS. 

- Scripting (scripts can be run automatically at startup). 

- Flash programming (e.g. download your file via NFS, then program into your flash). 

- BOOTP/DHCP client support. 

- Memory read, write, fill, compare and tesing (several test flavors available). 

- RARP 

- Support for JFFS2, CRAMFS, DOS, etc. (including multiple partitions). 

- Support for SPI, MMC, CompactFlash, etc. 

The list goes on ... but you get the picture ... if all you need is crt0 -- use the Altera 

boot-copier. If you want (or need) to do more than that you can use u-boot ... or 

redboot ... or something similar. 

In any case, I highly recommend you give u-boot (and/or redboot) a test drive. 

There are many features you may find very handy ... and there&#39;s lots of code you 

can hoist into your own loaders as well. 

Regards, 

--Scott
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by smcnutt@Feb 28 2006, 09:33 AM 

hi jdhar, 

the altera boot copier is a bare-bones crt0 implementation. it does exactly what you 

need it to do ...  in only a handful of instructions ... nothing more. u-boot however, is 

a full-featured boot-loader[/b], not just a "a nice little boot copier". In addition 

to the features wgoossens mentioned, u-boot also supports the following: 

- Command line interface via JTAG/UART. 

- Full epcs support read/write/program/protect. 

- Serial port download using kermit. 

- File download via Ethernet using TFTP and/or NFS. 

- Scripting (scripts can be run automatically at startup). 

- Flash programming (e.g. download your file via NFS, then program into your flash). 

- BOOTP/DHCP client support. 

- Memory read, write, fill, compare and tesing (several test flavors available). 

- RARP 

- Support for JFFS2, CRAMFS, DOS, etc. (including multiple partitions). 

- Support for SPI, MMC, CompactFlash, etc. 

The list goes on ... but you get the picture ... if all you need is crt0 -- use the Altera 

boot-copier. If you want (or need) to do more than that you can use u-boot ... or 

redboot ... or something similar. 

In any case, I highly recommend you give u-boot (and/or redboot) a test drive. 

There are many features you may find very handy ... and there&#39;s lots of code you 

can hoist into your own loaders as well. 

Regards, 

--Scott 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=12988) 

--- Quote End ---  

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

Excellent info smcnutt; I believe the reason I didn&#39;t give Uboot a try before is because I saw a lot of board-specific stuff (meant for the Altera Eval boards), while I mostly work in custom hardware. I will admit that I didn&#39;t look in that much detail, so I could have missed it, but I will search around and give it a try. There&#39;s no such thing as too many options in my book http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
0 Kudos