Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

uClinux boot problem on Cyclone IV

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I am a newbie of uClinux. My PC environment is CentOs 5.5 + nios2gcc-20080203.tar.bz2 + nios2-linux-20100621.tar. 

I want to download uclinux to my custom board, whose FPGA is EP4C30. And the ptf file is generated in Quartus10.1.  

I carefully follow the steps of the wiki: 

make menuconfig (default) 

make hwselect 

make 

nios2-configure-sof 

nios2-download -g 

nios2-terminal 

However, the system always halts after the sentence, "Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.". 

I have changed the ".ptf" file to ".ptf.pre_generation_ptf" file, the performance is the same. 

Then I changed to download uclinux to another custom board. Whose FPGA is EP3C40, and the ptf file is generated in Quartus8.1. 

I followed the same steps, but it works well.  

I am a little puzzled. Because the sopc configuration is almost the same. I also note the irq 0. 

I don't know whether nios2-linux-20100621.tar supports Cyclone4. I need your help. 

Thank you. 

Derek
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Now, I build a smallest system as the wiki, and it works in EP4C. I think it must be a mistake of my pre-sopc.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

just wondered if you have a data cache in your nios. We cant get Linux to boot on our Cyclone III system if the NIOS data cache is greater than 8K

0 Kudos