Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

uClinux question

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

i just started to work with uClinux on an altera eval board. 

I have a question regarding uClinux. 

Does uClinux when running on a nios system have it's own compiler built-in? 

Particularly what compiler do application on uclinux use? 

I,m a just a beginner and would like to learn this. 

Roman
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

uClinux running on board doesn't have GCC included in. Applications must be cross-compiled on a host Linux machine using Nios II binary tools (same used to compile kernel).  

These are the precompiled tools. 

http://www.niosftp.com/pub/gnutools/nios2gcc-20080203.tar.bz2 (http://www.niosftp.com/pub/gnutools/nios2gcc-20080203.tar.bz2

So, your application can be added to your system in two ways: 

* Adding application during kernel compilation. 

* Adding the compiled application to your uClinux file-sytem through a storage device (USB pendrive, SD card) or a Network filesystem.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suppose it is somehow possible to ccross-compile the gcc compiler to have it run on the NIOS itself, such as there is a Debian Linux distribution that runs on ARM and can d/l additional packets in source code and compile and install them.  

But I don't think anybody would bother to do that for a deeply embedded arch like NIOS, as it does not make much sense. 

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

--- Quote Start ---  

I suppose it is somehow possible to ccross-compile the gcc compiler to have it run on the NIOS itself, such as there is a Debian Linux distribution that runs on ARM and can d/l additional packets in source code and compile and install them.  

t I don't think anybody would bother to do that for a deeply embedded arch like NIOS, as it does not make much sense. 

--- Quote End ---  

For embedded systems, to have their own self-compiler means the War of Independence for PC Imperial.:D But to get the true independence, we must obtain a Thoroughbred gcc. This means to rebuild the 'nios2gcc' on Nios system....:p 

Kazu
0 Kudos