Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12604 Discussions

uboot +uclinux + stratix EP1S40 board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I been trying to port uboot for stratix EP1S40 board for the last 2 months...but seems like I have no luck...I already posted my issues couple of times.....but no luck so far. 

I have a very simple task...all I want is to load uclinux from SDRAM address 0x01000000 with uboot ........so that ....the board runs uclinux when power is applied........without running "nios2-download -g vmlinux" everytime. 

The vmlinux is created using std_1s40.ptf file that comes with nios-II development kit IDE. 

I downlaod the source code of u-boot-1.1.2........and just use the pk1c20 board files as reference............. to create u-boot.bin for stratix professional edition board EP1S40. 

I couldn't see any major difference between these 2 boards. I am not a hardware person ............... just try to follow the logic. 

Anyhow......I am now stuck here with u-boot.bin, u-boot and u-boot.srec....files...don't know how to download the u-boot to stratix EP1S40 board using altera's utility programs that comes with nios-II IDE kit. 

I am getting an error messages.....while using *.sof files that comes with nios-II IDE kit.......while running "niso2-flash-programmer" utility program. 

I am not sure if I am following the right path.......while using the pk1c20 base code. 

Is anyone can guide........how to program flash memory using nios-II SDK utilities. 

thanks,
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you read nios ii flash programmer user guide (http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_nios2_flash_programmer.pdf)?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi haq, 

> I been trying to port uboot for stratix EP1S40 board for the last 2 months...but 

> seems like I have no luck... 

What exactly is the problem you are having with u-boot? 

> I already posted my issues couple of times.....but no luck so far. 

And each time you have received a reply :-) But you never provided any feedback. 

> I have a very simple task...all I want is to load uclinux from SDRAM address 0x01000000 

> with uboot ........so that ....the board runs uclinux when power is applied........without 

> running "nios2-download -g vmlinux" everytime. 

If all you want is to run uclinux when power is applied, you don't need u-boot. 

> Anyhow......I am now stuck here with u-boot.bin, u-boot and u-boot.srec....files...don't know 

> how to download the u-boot to stratix EP1S40 board using altera's utility programs that 

> comes with nios-II IDE kit. 

1. start your terminal software. 

If your using the jtag uart, run nios2-terminal. Otherwise, startup your terminal emulation 

software (e.g. Hyperterminal). 

2. make sure u-boot is working.  

Run: 

$ nios2-download -g u-boot 

If you don't get the u-boot command prompt, then you didn't port u-boot correctly. 

> I am getting an error messages.....while using *.sof files that comes with nios-II IDE 

> kit.......while running "niso2-flash-programmer" utility program. 

If you post the errors, someone might be able to help. 

Regards, 

--Scott
0 Kudos