Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

undefined reference to math.h functions in bsp project even with -lm

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have written a HAL driver for a custom Qsys component. This means the code compiles as part of the _bsp project, not the application project. If I use functions from math.h such as ceilf() from the _bsp project, then when I link the application, I get errors such as: 

inm_free_counter.c:(.text+0x48): undefined reference to `ceilf' 

i do have "-lm" specified in the project settings, as you can see below: 

make all Info: Building ../MVSD_Board_Test_Nios_bsp/ make --no-print-directory -C ../MVSD_Board_Test_Nios_bsp/ Info: Compiling main.c to obj/default/main.o nios2-elf-gcc -xc -MP -MMD -c -I../MVSD_Board_Test_Nios_bsp//HAL/inc -I../MVSD_Board_Test_Nios_bsp/ -I../MVSD_Board_Test_Nios_bsp//drivers/inc -DSYSTEM_BUS_WIDTH=32 -pipe -D__hal__ -DALT_NO_C_PLUS_PLUS -DALT_NO_CLEAN_EXIT -D'exit(a)=_exit(a)' -DALT_NO_EXIT -DALT_USE_DIRECT_DRIVERS -DALT_NO_INSTRUCTION_EMULATION -DALT_USE_SMALL_DRIVERS -DSMALL_C_LIB -DALT_SINGLE_THREADED -DALTERA_AVALON_JTAG_UART_SMALL -DFIFOED_AVALON_UART_SMALL -DALT_USE_DIRECT_DRIVERS -DALT_USE_EPCS_FLASH -Os -Wall -mno-hw-div -mno-hw-mul -mno-hw-mulx -o obj/default/main.o main.c ../MVSD_Board_Test_Nios_bsp/\libhal_bsp.a(inm_free_counter.o): In function `inm_fc_setOutput': Info: Linking MVSD_Sequencer_Test.elf inm_free_counter.c:(.text+0x48): undefined reference to `ceilf' collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** Error 1 nios2-elf-g++ -lm -T'../MVSD_Board_Test_Nios_bsp//linker.x' -msys-crt0='../MVSD_Board_Test_Nios_bsp//obj/HAL/src/crt0.o' -msys-lib=hal_bsp -L../MVSD_Board_Test_Nios_bsp/ -msmallc -Wl,-Map=MVSD_Sequencer_Test.map -DALT_USE_DIRECT_DRIVERS -DALT_USE_EPCS_FLASH -Os -Wall -mno-hw-div -mno-hw-mul -mno-hw-mulx -o MVSD_Sequencer_Test.elf obj/default/main.o -lm  

This is only one example. Sometimes floorf() works but ceilf() doesn't; sometimes vice versa. I have another project that uses the same driver, and it does compile correctly. I'm using a NiosII/e. I have Quartus 13.1 Web Edition installed including Update 3. 

Why am I getting linker errors about the math library even with the "-lm" flag?
0 Kudos
0 Replies