Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

what is the compile environment of cyclone v?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I write a c language file and compile it in my own computer.And I copy the .out file into the Linux system on cyclone v.But it can run. 

And I want to know what is the compile environment if cyclone v so I can build a environment in my pc. 

If someone knows please tell me.Thank you very much!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know if this matches your question, but a FPGA can be programmed in VHDL or Verilog or OpenCL which is Hardware programming and - if we are talking on Software - you can run a softcore (like the NIOSII) / have a Hardcore µC (on selected devices) on chip. These processors are either programmed using the Eclipse tool coming with ALTERA QII or - at least for the hardcore (I think) - using the hardcore chip manufacturer's tool. 

If you are talking on Linux - do you run Linux on the µC on the chip?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I don't know if this matches your question, but a FPGA can be programmed in VHDL or Verilog or OpenCL which is Hardware programming and - if we are talking on Software - you can run a softcore (like the NIOSII) / have a Hardcore µC (on selected devices) on chip. These processors are either programmed using the Eclipse tool coming with ALTERA QII or - at least for the hardcore (I think) - using the hardcore chip manufacturer's tool. 

If you are talking on Linux - do you run Linux on the µC on the chip? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes.I run a ubuntu on Cyclone V.But compiling on arm can be very slow.So I want to compile and build a .out file in my own pc.Then copy the .out file into ubuntu and run it. 

I need to build a cross-compilation environment in my pc.And I want to know how to build it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can look this page http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/documentation/gsrd131gittrees#build_toolchain 

see the build toochain. It will tell you how to build a corss compliation environment in you pc.Then you can copy the .out file to FPGA and run it.
0 Kudos