Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

what is the sys_clk_timer and timestamp_timer in bsp editor

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, I am new in using the Nios II sbt tool. When i generate the BSP, in the bsp editor, there is sys_clk_timer and timerstamp_timer option for me to choose. Anyone can explain why we need to specify it or any function on specifying it? What happen if i set both of it to none?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Read the section "Using Timer Devices" starting on page 6-14 (page 145 in the PDF) of the Software Developer Handbook https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/nios2/n2sw_nii5v2.pdf

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi..thanks. I have read the manual. If I have not assign any timer core in qsys to sys_clk_timer and timestamp_timer, does it mean that the consequences is i cannot use the function like alt_nticks, settimeofday() and etc?