Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

UBooting with dual compressed images on a MAX 10

GLM57
Beginner

Hi,

For reliability, we want to have dual compressed hardware design images stored in the CFM of a MAX10 device.  Is it possible to have each hardware image boot a different software image from UFM?  If not, what's the point of having two hardware images?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FvM
Valued Contributor III

The point of dual image is to have safe fallback with remote system upgrade. RSU IP has no specific prerequisites for switching UFM data, but you can implement it in FPGA code if memory capacity sufficient, I guess.

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Greetings and welcome to Intel's Forum.

Unfortunately, the UFM data (.HEX file) can be included in either Page_0 or Page_1 only. The On-chip flash does not support two .HEX files for Dual Compressed images configuration mode.

Here are additional information on the Max10 On Chip Flash for your reference:https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683689/current/fpga-on-chip-flash-description.html

Hope this clarify your doubts.

Thank you.

Kelly Jialin, GOH

0 Kudos
GLM57
Beginner

Thanks for the replies.

Actually I have discovered that it can be done.  For the first image set, you must create a hardware image with Nios 2 vectors set to the base address of UFM.  Generate the BSP based on that Qsys design, and compile the software.  For the second image set, give the Nios 2 vectors an offset of 0x8000, for example, which will push the second software image to Page_1 of UFM.  After generating this BSP and compiling the second software image, concatenate all but the last line of the first .hex file into a new .hex file, then append the second software image's .hex file onto that to create a single, combined .hex file.  Convert the combined  .hex file, and the two .sof files as usual.

After 4 months of working on this problem I discovered the trick of removing the last line of the first software image's .hex file only this morning. 

Thank You,

Gerald Moon

Advantest America, Inc.

KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback it sure benefits the community users on this topic.

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly Jialin, GOH

0 Kudos