Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

VGA DISPLAY

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, Am trying to run the LANCELOT VGA REFERENCE design on the altera APEX20KE development board featuring the NIOS processor. The SOPC builder always hangs when trying to run the .srec file and hence no output from the VGA. Does anybody knows the likely cause of the problem?. Am using a 128 Mb, 133 MHz SO-DIMM SDRAM in the J2 socket. Do you think I should use a 100 MHz SO-DIMM SDRAM instead?. Could this be the cause of the problem.  

Cheers, 

Jude
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey Jude, 

This could be many things; really I'd reccomend trying to start at some known starting point and going from there... you mention using the reference design that comes with the lancelot card -- I am not familiar with this design but does it require a sodimm module in the apex board? Is it possible to use the exact configuration (in terms of memory) that the reference design reccomends? This would be the most ideal case as it has probably been tested, and if it did not work then the reference design creator (the lancelot supplier?) might be able to diagnose the problem.  

If you cannot use the exact hardware the ref design reccomends, then I would reccomend first changing the various parameters in SOPC Builder to correctly interface to *your* memory, ensure that all pins (address/data/dqm, etc.) are properly assigned, and then run some memory test code to ensure that all of it can be read/written... then the vga example code would also need to be re-built.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, Thanks for the info. Am having problem running codes on the altera nios processor. When I even tried running the reference design I get the following after building the hello_world.c. 

nr hello_world.srec 

nios-run: Ready to download hello_world.srec over COM1 at 115200 pbs 

: Press CPU Reset (or CLEAR) on board to begin download 

: Type Control-C to exit the program 

: Waiting for target .............. 

Even after presssing the reset button, the above sentences is still displayed on the SOPC builder and the code will not run. 

What do you think is the problem?. Please reply ASAP. 

Cheers, 

Jude
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi , 

Im having the same trouble as joo21 when I try to run the lancelot reference design, lancelot.hexout.flash. I just get 

: Waiting for target ................ 

Does anyone know whats wrong? 

thanks 

DeePs
0 Kudos