OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

CL context reference-counting crash

F__Orderud
Beginner

There seems to be an issue with CL context reference-counting on Intel OpenCL GPU devices. Calling clRetainContext followed by clReleaseContext on a context object results in a silent failure that invalidates the context and triggers a crash on subsequent OpenCL calls on my computer.

A minimal VS2010 project to reproduce is attached. The project has no dependencies besides an OpenCL SDK, and should built & run out of the box.

My setup:
* Windows 7 64bit SP1 (fully patched)
* Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU with HD graphics 4000 (Ivy Bridge laptop)
* Intel OpenCL GPU driver 9.17.10.2932 (latest from december 2012)

It would be great if this bug could be fixed as soon as possible since it breaks the image processing pipeline on our 3D ultrasound imaging software. Neither the Nvidia nor AMD OpenCL drivers are suffering from this type of problems.

Thanks in advance,
Fredrik Orderud
GE Vingmed Ultrasound (GE Healthcare)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee
Thanks to your great reproducer I was able to see the crash and disable it by skipping clRetainContext/clReleaseContext with #define CL_CONTEXT_CRASH_DISABLE. I'll look into this with the devel team and get back to you soon.
0 Kudos
F__Orderud
Beginner

Jeffrey:
Would it be possible to get an update regarding this issue? Do you have a rough estimate for when fixed/updated drivers will be available?

Thanks in advance,
Fredrik Orderud
GE Vingmed Ultrasound (GE Healthcare)

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

The issue has been submitted to the devel team and there are folks looking at it.  No timelines for when a fix will be available yet though.  I'll see if it's possible to get a rough estimate.

0 Kudos