OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1718 Discussions

Checking and repairing ICD

Gordon__Daniel
Beginner

Hello, I installed the latest OpenCL SDK onto an 8-phi 4U server from Colfax International, running CentOS 7.2.  It has MPSS v3.7.

After running “install.sh” and fixing a few dependencies, I tried two of my OpenCL codes, one a C++ code, one a pyopencl code.  In both cases no platforms are found.  Both codes work on several other systems.

Here is a simple pyopencl code:

import pyopencl

import pyopencl.array as cl_array

for platform in pyopencl.get_platforms():

print('Platform',platform.get_info(pyopencl.platform_info.NAME))

with output:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "get_platforms.py", line 4, in <module>

for platform in pyopencl.get_platforms():

File "/home/gordon/pythonenv/sim/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pyopencl/cffi_cl.py", line 585, in get_platforms

_handle_error(_lib.get_platforms(platforms.ptr, platforms.size))

File "/home/gordon/pythonenv/sim/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pyopencl/cffi_cl.py", line 561, in _handle_error

raise e

pyopencl.cffi_cl.LogicError: clgetplatformids failed: PLATFORM_NOT_FOUND_KHR

I guess maybe something is wrong with the ICD?  How can I check to see if it is where it should be, points to the right thing, etc..?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gordon__Daniel
Beginner

Update: Some searching led me to check /etc/OpenCL/vendors/ which is indeed empty.  I guess there are supposed to be *.icd files in there.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

OpenCL support for Xeon Phi is deprecated. 

However, we still have a runtime package to install if you want to try it here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers

The runtime package has components to run the code, the SDK package has ingredients for building/developing.

0 Kudos
Gordon__Daniel
Beginner

Thanks, the runtime package solves the issue.

Can you please comment on the future of OpenCL for Xeon Phi (e.g., is there one)?

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Sorry for the delayed reply.  As far as I know there are no plans to bring back Xeon Phi support for OpenCL.  However, an Intel version of OpenCL still covers CPU, GPU, and FPGA.  

0 Kudos