OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

Does INDE API Trace feature create another OpenCL platform?

Logan_J_
Beginner

Hi,

INDE API trace was working wonderfully for a few days and suddenly stopped returning any trace information. I started investigating and noticed that, when enabled, another Intel OpenCL platform shows up at runtime when I query all available platforms. Using this newly created OpenCL platform, again that only shows up when API trace is enabled, allows me to get the trace results that I was looking for. Why it worked two days ago without any adjustments to my code is still a mystery to me.

But I'm happily tracing again, I'm just curious if this nuance is expected and documented somewhere?

For what its worth, here is my configuration:

Windows 7
Visual Studio 2012 Version 11.0 update 4
Code Builder 1.3.0.43

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Logan,

I'll ask our developers about this issue. Sounds very strange! Any chance that you could move to Windows 8.1 and Visual Studio 2013 :) ?

0 Kudos
Logan_J_
Beginner

Very slim. Is 8.1 + VS 2013 known to be a better configuration? I'm curious because the support page does specify my configuration as being valid:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-inde-support

0 Kudos
Uri_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Logan,

Thanks for the feedback!

In order to help us to proceed with the investigation, can you please answer these couple of questions:

1. Which GFX driver version are you using? You can query the driver version through the platform info: (CODE-BUILDER > Platform Info…, right click on the GPU device under Intel(R) OpenCL platform and look for Device Driver Version property)

Have you done any installation \ uninstallation of the GFX driver before the tool stops working?

1. Can you please provide the name of the platforms that you observed? How many OpenCL platforms are you observing now in total?

Thanks,

Uri

0 Kudos
Logan_J_
Beginner

Hi Uri,

Sure. My GFX driver version is 10.18.10.3412.

Code builder reports these platforms:

codeBuilderPlatforms.jpg

Which is what my application shows when API trace is disabled:

apiTraceDisabled.jpg

But when I enabled API tracing via CODE-BUILDER->OCL Debugger->Options my application shows:

apiTraceEnabled.jpg

If I configure my application to grab the first platform listed as Intel(R) OpenCL, API tracing does not work. If it uses the second it does. I shared a memory leak application with Robert for another issue that shows this behavior as well.

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Logan,

The driver that you have appears dated. Could you install 10.18.14.4080 driver or something from December 2014 or January 2015 and try to see if you have the same issues?

0 Kudos
Logan_J_
Beginner

Robert,

I tried, however the installer got mad about it not being verified by Dell. I grabbed the most recent version from Dell's website, which is circa August-November, with no luck.

0 Kudos