OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

Feature requests

rahul_garg
Beginner
Just wanted to add two feature requests:

1. FP64 support has already been mentioned and would be the most important request for me.
2. Memory migration APIs from OpenCL 1.2 would be very nice to have

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Doron_S_Intel
Employee
Could you explain a bit about why you need the memory migration APIs?
0 Kudos
Doron_S_Intel
Employee
Could you explain a bit about why you need the memory migration APIs?
0 Kudos
rahul_garg
Beginner
Actually, disregard the memory migration API request. After looking at Intel's OpenCL optimization guide, I am now looking at avoiding copies altogether by allocating properly aligned memory :)

To explain why I initially requested memory migration APIs: Consider a GPU device. Without memory migration APIs, some drivers don't provide hard guarantees about where exactly a memory object "lives", and only that it will be made available when you launch a kernel. The driver is otherwise free to swap stuff in/out of GPU memory. This causes my application to do somewhat unpredicatable memory copies between CPU and GPU on other platforms. However, on Ivy Bridge, it looks like I can avoid memory transfers altogether if the alignment conditions are met.

0 Kudos