OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

HD 4000 frequency

christolb29
Beginner
Hello,
I'm using the HD4000 embedded into i7-3720QM, to help an h264 encoder.
I am wondering if it's possible to disable the power management of the HD 4000 to make the frequency stable at 1GHz. I think the turbo mode kills my performances.
GPU-z shows me that the HD 4000 remains at 350Mhz, as the GPU load is very low (~10%). The GPU is only used during 1ms every 20ms to compute picture analysis.
Thank you
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Raghupathi_M_Intel
Hi,

You can try disabling RC6 (which lets the GPU go to a deeper power state). That might lower some throttling you are experiencing. As far as I know there is no way of locking the GPU frequency. I will find out more and post here if there is a better way.

Thanks,
Raghu
0 Kudos
christolb29
Beginner
Thank you for your answer.
Disabling RC6 works well, according to GPU-z, the frequency of the HD4000 remains at 1.25GHz all the time. It would be nice to be able to change it from the graphic properties, but this parameter is not supposed to be changed that much.
The temperature seems to stay acceptable too (~70-80 C).
Thanks,
Chris
0 Kudos
Murali_M_
Beginner

Hi

I would like to know if the HD Graphics 4600 and Iris 5xxx series can be sustained at maximum clock frequency of 1GHz and above.

What are the conditions under which the Graphics stays at max clock? Is thsi sustained if we ahve have heavy processing happening on the 20 or 40 cores of HD Graphics.

Regards

Murali

0 Kudos
Biao_W_
Beginner

christolb29 wrote:

Thank you for your answer. Disabling RC6 works well, according to GPU-z, the frequency of the HD4000 remains at 1.25GHz all the time. It would be nice to be able to change it from the graphic properties, but this parameter is not supposed to be changed that much. The temperature seems to stay acceptable too (~70-80 C). Thanks, Chris

Hi, christolb29:

Happy new year!

I would like to know how to disable RC6 under windows 7, could you give me some hints?

Thanks

0 Kudos
christolb29
Beginner

Biao W. wrote:

Quote:

christolb29 wrote:

Thank you for your answer. Disabling RC6 works well, according to GPU-z, the frequency of the HD4000 remains at 1.25GHz all the time. It would be nice to be able to change it from the graphic properties, but this parameter is not supposed to be changed that much. The temperature seems to stay acceptable too (~70-80 C). Thanks, Chris

Hi, christolb29:

Happy new year!

I would like to know how to disable RC6 under windows 7, could you give me some hints?

Thanks

Hi Biao W,

Happy new year too.

As I remember, you should be able to disable RC6 directly from the BIOS.

0 Kudos